Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta has said that a decision is yet to be made regarding whether the Japanese MotoGP round will go ahead as planned on April 24.

The Motegi event, which was postponed last year due to flight restrictions caused by the Icelandic volcano, looks in serious doubt due to the massive earthquake and tsunami which struck Japan last Friday.

"No decision will be made until it is seen how events evolve during this week, putting the interests of Japan above what was to be the third round of the season," Ezpeleta told the official MotoGP website.

"I have had the opportunity to speak with those at the Motegi Circuit, where fortunately none of those who work there were injured. It remains to be seen how those involved deal with this terrible event. For our part we are there for whatever they need. MotoGP will do what Japan asks us."

The first round of the 2011 world championship takes place at Qatar next weekend, followed by the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez on April 3.

The Japanese round is then due to be held just one week before the Portuguese race at Estoril, but - as last season - will probably be moved near to the Australian and Malaysian rounds (both in October) if it cannot take place as planned.

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment