Back in February Crash.net
speculated that John Hopkins could get some wild-card rides for Rizla Suzuki in MotoGP this year.
And the Anglo-American - rebuilding his career in BSB this season, and tenth as a MotoGP replacement for the injured Alvaro Bautista in round two at Jerez - has now all but confirmed he will indeed steer a second GSV-R at Brno on August 12-14.
"I reckon there should be an announcement pretty soon," Hopkins told MotoGP.com
at this weekend's Assen round. "We're getting pretty close with Suzuki. It's not 100 percent confirmed. Hopefully there will be an announcement soon. We're doing everything we can to make it a possibility.
"There has been some MotoGP opportunities on the table the last couple of weeks, but I think staying loyal with Suzuki and paying back the faith they have given me in BSB is the best thing for now."
Asked further about those other offers, Hopkins said:
"There was the offer obviously to run the Gresini deal and some options at LCR as well. We never really got that far into it… basically because I am contracted to Crescent Racing, which runs Suzukis and also being the stand-in rider at Suzuki.
"I'm only contracted for one year and I'm trying to get back to MotoGP full time as soon as I can. The plan is to just do Brno [with Suzuki] for now and then see how it goes. Brno is my favourite track in the world and I think I can perform better than I did at Jerez."
Hopkins raced in MotoGP with Suzuki from 2003 to 2007, his results steadily improving to a peak of four podiums and fourth overall in the '07 world championship.
A high-profile switch to Kawasaki then lasted just one season before the factory's withdraw and coincided with the start of a punishing run of injuries.
Hopkins has already won a BSB race for Crescent Samsung Suzuki and is presently second behind another former MotoGP rider, Shane Byrne, in the championship standings.
Under new rules introduced last year, the BSB title will be decided between the top six riders in the final three-round Showdown.