MotoGP World Championship leaders Casey Stoner and Jorge Lorenzo may have said that they are not going, but the FIM has revealed that an independent report regarding the risk of radiation at Motegi has concluded that there is only a 'negligible' risk.
As such, barring any further 'incidents', the FIM and Dorna are set to confirm that the rescheduled 2011 Japanese Grand Prix will take place on October 2.
The full press release can be seen below:
"The FIM and Dorna Sports SL recently commissioned an independent report by a recognised body to investigate the current situation in Japan, in advance of the Grand Prix of Japan at Motegi which is scheduled to take place on 2 October.
"This study is intended to complement the information already available from various Governments and the World Health Organisation, which addresses the general situation in Japan following the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that occurred in March.
"This independent investigation reports specifically on the situation in Motegi and its environs, making it much more relevant to MotoGP participants.
"The official detailed report will be delivered later this week, but a preliminary report has already been made available – with an original version in Italian and an English translation provided by the Championship organisers.
"ARPA, the agency commissioned for this report, has measured levels of radiation from all sources including the air, environment and food. The final conclusion is that "based on the estimate dose it can be said with no doubt that the radiation risk during the race event is negligible".
"Based on this information the FIM and Dorna Sports will announce later this week that, subject to there being no further serious incidents, the Grand Prix of Japan will take place on October 2 as planned."
Motegi is just over 100 km from the Fukushima nuclear power plant, damaged during the earthquake and tsunami earlier this year.