MotoGP World Championship leader Jorge Lorenzo
has confirmed that he turned down the chance to move to Honda next season.
The 2010 champion and this year's title leader surprised the MotoGP world by announcing a new two-year contract extension with Yamaha earlier this week.
The contract extension itself was not a surprise - but the timing was, coming so early in the season and with Lorenzo the hottest property in MotoGP following reigning champion Casey Stoner's decision to retire.
Most predicted that Stoner's exit would result in Honda attempting to sign Lorenzo and the Spaniard stated on Thursday that an offer from HRC was made.
"As you know I have signed for two more years with Yamaha and I'm really happy to stay with this brand," he began.
"You know, it was a difficult decision this time. I had another offer from another brand, from Honda, and the decision was very tough. But finally I listened to my heart, and my heart said Yamaha."
Lorenzo then joked: "I waited so that he [Stoner] might change his opinion and come back to Honda for another year. So I left the place open to Casey."
And a pay rise? "Riders never speak about money. And I will not be the first!" smiled Lorenzo.
Following Lorenzo's contract extension, Honda's Livio Suppo has said the top priority is to retain Dani Pedrosa.
Stoner's likely replacement remains unknown, although another Spaniard - Moto2 star Marc Marquez - is the obvious candidate should the 'rookie rule' be scrapped.
Lorenzo, winner of three of the opening five races this year, starts the British Grand Prix with a 20-point lead over Stoner and 30-point advantage over Pedrosa.
Lorenzo has been a Yamaha rider since stepping up to the premier-class in 2008. Stefan Bradl (LCR Honda) and Bradley Smith (Tech 3 Yamaha) are the only other riders with a 2013 MotoGP contract.
Looking ahead to this weekend's event, Lorenzo revealed that he will not use the engine update seen at the recent Catalunya and Aragon tests.
“For the moment we are going to ride with the same bike as in the last race in Montmeló," he said. "We didn't find any big improvement. The engineers are working on it. I'll keep patient, try to finish in the best positions possible and wait for the improvements."
Lorenzo won in the dry at Silverstone in 2010, but fell in the rain last year. This weekend could see another wet contest.
"The weather seems very bad. I'm not happy but that's the way it is. In the rain you have more possibilities to crash, but it can also be fun," said Lorenzo.