UPDATE: Rumours suggest Jorge Lorenzo could reconsider his decision to miss the US GP, following Dani Pedrosa's withdraw from the German race.
However the message on his Twitter page (@Lorenzo99) is so far unchanged.
Injured MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo
has said that he will miss next weekend's US GP as well as Sunday's Sachsenring race.
Lorenzo stunned the MotoGP world by riding to fifth place just two days after breaking his left collarbone at Assen on June 27.
But the Factory Yamaha star then damaged the titanium plate - inserted during surgery to hold the pieces of broken bone together - when he fell heavily, while fastest, on Friday afternoon in Germany.
That forced a second round of surgery in Barcelona - and this time there will be no miracle return for the race, or indeed for next weekend's event at Laguna Seca.
In response to questions from his fans on Twitter asking about his return date, Lorenzo replied: "To the people asking me about Laguna, I would like to say that I don't want to take more risk and have a good recovery. See you in Indy!"
The US GP is the last event before the summer break, meaning Lorenzo now has until August 16 to regain fitness for Indy.
After his Assen heroics, Lorenzo is just nine points from title leader Dani Pedrosa
- who damaged his left collarbone at the Sachsenring on Saturday morning. Although the Repsol Honda star skipped qualifying, he could ride in the race.
The worst case scenario for Lorenzo is thus a 59 point advantage for Pedrosa by the start of the Indy weekend - should Pedrosa win the next two races, which appears unlikely given his own injuries.
Lorenzo's team-mate and seven time MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi
believes the title situation is “hard but not impossible” for the #99.
“For Jorge it is a great pity because he made a small mistake and unfortunately landed on the wrong shoulder,” said Rossi, who will start Sunday's race from third on the grid.