MotoGP »

Japanese MotoGP: New Motegi MotoGP schedule announced

'Plan A', 'Plan B' and 'Plan C' for remainder of disrupted Japanese MotoGP weekend.
With all of Friday's practice sessions for the Japanese MotoGP cancelled, a highly flexible revised schedule has been announced - taking into account several different scenarios for Saturday and Sunday.

Wet and foggy conditions severely reduced visibility at the remote Motegi circuit, preventing the medical helicopter from flying to the track, under Japanese law.

“Without a medical helicopter on site for evacuation and no viable alternative we're not prepared to run, when there is a risk that a seriously injured rider may not be adequately treated,” explained Race Director Mike Webb in a special media briefing at the circuit (pictured).

“The helicopter has been trying to get permission to fly to the circuit since Thursday. It's been on stand-by all the time. Our advice was that as soon as permission was granted, the helicopter could be here in ten minutes, so we waited until the last possible moment before cancelling practice.

“As far as alternatives, the big problem is location. Motegi is more than one hour by road to the accredited hospital. We have been advised that this is not safe in the case of a seriously injured rider. Many, many alternatives were proposed and looked into - such as part-way by ambulance, then by air, closer medical centres. No reasonable solution was found.

“The weather forecast for Saturday is brighter, but if the helicopter still cannot fly by tomorrow afternoon then it will be dismantled and shipped to the circuit by road and reassembled ready for Sunday. The problem is not the rain, it is the visibility.”

We've divided the options available for Saturday and Sunday into 'Plan A', 'Plan B' and 'Plan C'...

Plan A:
“If we are able to run tomorrow [Saturday] morning, we will run free practice for as long as possible and then move on to a normal Saturday afternoon qualifying schedule and a normal Sunday schedule,” said Webb.

Plan B: (Presently most likely).
“If we are not able to run tomorrow morning, Saturday afternoon will be deemed free practice and will be run as long as possible. Then a heavily revised schedule for Sunday - involving practice, qualifying and the race - will be run.

Plan C:
“If it is not possible to practice at all tomorrow, we are still expecting Sunday's weather to be significantly better and we have a provisional, heavily revised schedule, that includes practice, qualifying and the race on Sunday. We are committed to running the Japanese Grand Prix and are doing everything we can to make it happen.”



Tagged as: Webb

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Capirossi and Mike Webb, Race Direction press conference, Japanese MotoGP 2013
Mike Webb inspecting the track, Argentinian MotoGP 2014
Mike Webb inspecting the track, Argentinian MotoGP 2014
Mike Webb, Qatar MotoGP test, March 2014
Mike Webb, Qatar MotoGP test, March 2014
Webb, Moto3 race, VAlencia MotoGP 2013
Capirossi and Mike Webb, Race Direction press conference, Japanese MotoGP 2013
Capirossi and Mike Webb, Race Direction press conference, Japanese MotoGP 2013
Capirossi and Mike Webb, Race Direction press conference, Japanese MotoGP 2013
Capirossi and Mike Webb, Race Direction press conference, Japanese MotoGP 2013
Mike Webb, Media, Malaysian MotoGP 2013
Mike Webb, Media, Malaysian MotoGP 2013
Mike Webb, Media, Malaysian MotoGP 2013
Mike Webb, Media, Malaysian MotoGP 2013
Mike Webb, Media, Malaysian MotoGP 2013
McPhee and Webb, Moto3 Race, Dutch MotoGP 2013
McPhee and Webb, Moto3 Race, Dutch MotoGP 2013
Webb, Moto3 Race, Dutch MotoGP 2013

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


DrGP

October 25, 2013 11:24 AM

@roadburner Yeah sod it just let them die in the ambulance during the 1 hour transfer to hospital hey? Nothing to do with being PC and soft, two riders have died in this series in the last few years. There is a medical transport option that is quicker so why shouldn't they ensure it is available?

Garcia

October 25, 2013 10:35 AM

I imagine they cant' move it to Monday as people attending on they day will probably have to go to work. Option B is what will probably happen, FP tomorrow, qualifying and race on Sunday. Better not trash the bike in qualifying or there may not have enough time to fix it before the race . I just know whatever time I set my recorder for Eurosport on Sunday, it'll end up recording some tennis crap...



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.