1 May 2014
Spain MotoGP: 200th for Lorenzo, 100th for Marquez
Spanish MotoGP will be Jorge Lorenzo's 200th grand prix start and the 100th for reigning champion Marc Marquez.
This weekend's Spanish MotoGP at Jerez will be a milestone event for title rivals Marc Marquez and Jorge Lorenzo.
Double champion Lorenzo will be making his 200th grand prix appearance, while reigning title holder Marquez will reach 100 starts.
Lorenzo (26) arrived in MotoGP in 2008 as a double 250cc world champion, while Marquez (21) won the 2010 125cc crown then 2012 Moto2 title.
Here are some facts and figures for each rider:
Jorge Lorenzo: 200 Grand Prix starts:
*Lorenzo set a new record at his very first 125 race - the Spanish Grand Prix in 2002: he became the youngest ever rider to compete in Grand Prix, just one day after his 15th birthday. He was not allowed to take part in the first day of qualifying because he had still not attained the minimum age of 15.
* Lorenzo is the 23rd rider to reach the milestone of 200 Grand Prix starts across all classes in the 65-year history of Grand Prix racing.
* Lorenzo will celebrate his 27th birthday on race day and is scheduled to become the youngest rider to reach the milestone of 200 GP starts, taking the record from Andrea Dovizioso who made his 200th start in Aragon last year at the age of 27 years, 190 days.
* From his first 199 Grands Prix, Lorenzo has won on 52 occasions (a 26.1% win rate), been on the podium 113 times (56.8%) and finished in the top six on 138 occasions (69.3%). He has also started from pole for 55 (27.6%) of the his Grands Prix to date.
* During his grand prix career, Lorenzo has competed at 26 different circuits and has won at least once at 19 of them. The circuits on which he has competed but not won a grand prix in any of the three classes are: Aragon, Austin, Istanbul, Sachsenring, Suzuka, Welkom and recent addition Termas de Rio Hondo.
Marc Marquez: 100 Grand Prix starts:
* At the age of just 21 years and 76 days, Marquez is the fourth-youngest rider ever to reach the milestone of 100 GP starts, after Scott Redding, Jorge Lorenzo and Sandro Cortese.
* In his 99 Grands Prix to date, he has taken 35 wins (a win rate of 35.3%) and a total of 58 podium finishes (58.6%). He has started from pole position on 40 occasions (40.4%).
* Marquez has raced at 22 different circuits during his Grand Prix career to date and has won at 19 of them. At only three race tracks has he competed but failed to win: one is this weekend's host venue of Jerez, while the other two are Donington Park and Shanghai.
* He did not stand on the top step of the podium until his 33rd race, when his first win came in the 125 Grand Prix at Mugello, Italy in 2010. Since then, however, Marquez has won 35 times from 67 starts - a win rate of 52.2%.
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.