8 May 2014
Marquez, Rossi, Bradl on the up in MotoGP 2014
A comparison of MotoGP points and championship positions relative to this time last season.
World champion Marc Marquez has made a perfect start to the 2014 MotoGP season, winning all four races from pole position.
That has allowed the Repsol Honda rider to collect 100 points, 23 more than at this stage of his rookie 2013 season and the biggest increase of any rider relative to last year.
Movistar Yamaha's Valentino Rossi has made the next biggest points progress of those inside the top ten (+14 points), followed by LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl (+13 points).
Aspar's Hiroshi Aoyama has improved by more points (18), and no less than ten positions, but the Japanese had scored only a single digit by this stage last year. Aleix Espargaro, Bradley Smith and Yonny Hernandez are the others to have improved by at least ten points.
Marquez's team-mate Dani Pedrosa (-11 points) and Movistar Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo (-31 points) are the only riders in the current top nine to have made a worse start to the season. Pedrosa was leading the standings at this time last year.
New Ducati rider Cal Crutchlow has suffered most of all - due to injuries, technical issues and tyre problems - followed by Gresini Honda's Alvaro Bautista, who has lost fewer relative points than Lorenzo but far more positions after falling in the first three races.
The below table, listed in 2014 riders' championship order, shows the change in points and positions after four rounds of this year compared with the same time last year. Last year's opening races were held in Qatar, Texas, Spain and France. This year the venues have been Qatar, Texas, Argentina and Spain...
Change in points & championship position: First four rounds - 2014 v 2013
1. Marc Marquez +23 points, +1 championship position.
2. Dani Pedrosa -11 points, -1 position.
3. Valentino Rossi +14 points, +2 positions.
4. Andrea Dovizioso +6 points, +2 positions.
5. Jorge Lorenzo -31 points, -2 positions.
6. Stefan Bradl +13 points, +5 positions.
7. Aleix Espargaro +10 points, +2 positions.
8. Bradley Smith +11 points, +4 positions.
9. Andrea Iannone +7 points, +1 position.
10. Pol Espargaro Rookie.
11. Nicky Hayden -12 points, -3 positions.
12. Hiroshi Aoyama +18 points, +10 positions.
13. Scott Redding Rookie.
14. Yonny Hernandez +10 points, +5 positions.
15. Alvaro Bautista -28 points, -8 positions.
16. Cal Crutchlow* -45 points, -12 positions.
17. Karel Abraham +7 points, +3 positions.
18. Colin Edwards +6 points, +3 positions.
19. Danilo Petrucci** -2 points, -2 positions.
20. Hector Barbera -5 points, -5 positions.
21. Broc Parkes Rookie.
Michael Laverty*** -3 points, NA.
Mike di Meglio*** Rookie.
* Crutchlow suffered technical issues in Losail and Jerez (DNF), forced to pit for a tyre change before his Austin fall (DNF), then missed Argentina through injury (DNS).
** Petrucci missed Jerez race due to injury.
*** Laverty and Di Meglio are yet to score in 2014.
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.