Alex de Angelis has been officially confirmed as replacing Colin Edwards for the remainder of the 2014 MotoGP World Championship.

Edwards was due to retire at the end of this year, but - for reasons not yet fully explained - has stepped down following his final home appearance at Indianapolis on Sunday.

The Texan still hopes to race as a wild-card at Silverstone and Valencia, while de Angelis will be at all eight remaining rounds alongside Forward Yamaha's Open class leader Aleix Espargaro.

de Angelis raced for Forward in Moto2 during 2012 and 2013, switching to Tasca Racing this year, where he is 14th in the championship standings

"I have always considered our team as a big family and Alex has already been part of our team," said team owner Giovani Cuzari. "Moreover he has experience in MotoGP so I thought that he was the best rider to line up with our colours and I'm happy to give him this opportunity to return in the premier class".

30-year-old de Angelis previously raced full time in MotoGP for Gresini Honda, claiming one podium finish in 2009, with stand-in appearances in 2010 (Interwetten Honda) and 2013 (Pramac Ducati).

"It's a dream come true for me to return in MotoGP," said de Angelis. "I was working on this project last year, when I was racing with this team. Racing the second part of the championship with the NGM Forward Racing Team on board of a Forward Yamaha it's a great occasion and I'd like to thank Giovanni Cuzari for this opportunity as well as the Tasca Racing Team that released me.

"I know that it won't be easy for me to be competitive from the beginning as we have no time test the bike before Brno, but we will give my best. I can count on a very good team and competitive package so I really look forward to it."

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

Don't over-react people.
De Angelis' time in MotoGP is long gone.
He is only there as a stand-in, nothing more.