Movistar Yamaha riders Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo remain convinced Marc Marquez can haul himself back into title contention even though the Repsol Honda rider is 49 points off the top after a shock spill at Mugello.

Marquez, who started from 13th place on row five, was battling with Ducati's Andrea Iannone for second place when he slid out of the race, losing vital ground in the battle for the title.

The world champion is now fifth in the standings and 49 points behind Rossi after the first six races, but Italian legend Rossi believes Marquez and Honda will come back stronger and cannot be dismissed from the championship equation.

Related Articles

"The situation of Marquez is unbelievable now - nobody expects this. After six races Marc is in fifth position in the championship and it is a big surprise for everybody," said Rossi, who finished third at Mugello.

"But like Jorge says, we speak about Marc Marquez and the factory Honda. I think they have some problem right now - technical, balance of the bike, something - but they can recover very, very fast, also in one week and come back strong like last year. So it is not closed for sure."

Lorenzo, now only six points behind his team-mate at the top of the points table following his third premier class win in a row in Italy on Sunday, also believes Marquez's title challenge is far from a foregone conclusion.

"No, absolutely not [asked if Marquez's title prospects are over]. A lot of champions have been champions recovering more points than now for Marc and we have to understand that this is the sixth race and still we have 12 more - double the races than we make now," Lorenzo said.

"Everything can happen - we can break engines, we can make mistakes and Marc can win races now like I did - three races in a row. He recovered in one or two laps the positions that he had [lost] on the grid today and luckily for us he crashed, so this is good for the championship."