MotoGP will not return to Indianapolis Motor Speedway next season, the circuit confirmed in a statement to coincide with Friday's provisional 2016 calendar.

Indianapolis, which has hosted a MotoGP event since 2008, said that the cancellation was 'a mutual decision by both parties'.

"This outcome reflects the best interests of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Dorna Sports," said J. Douglas Boles, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

"We are proud of our efforts to increase attendance in recent years and successfully host a truly international sporting and cultural event. We're also thankful to Dorna Sports for its strong support and partnership since 2008.

Related Articles

"However, the timing is right to pursue other opportunities that drive greater revenue for both the Speedway and our Central Indiana economy."

America will thus be reduced to just one MotoGP event next season, in Austin, having hosted three events a year as recently as 2013.

Laguna Seca was the first to go and its departure 'caused both financial and logistical challenges that no longer made the [Indianapolis] event viable for the foreseeable future'.

Since Laguna Seca and Indianapolis were consecutive events, either side of the summer break, freight costs to the USA had been spread over two rounds.

As well as the financial factor, Indianapolis cited 'Dorna's efforts to expand both the number of events it hosts and the geographic diversity of its schedule' for the withdraw.

"Bringing MotoGP to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a tremendously rewarding experience," said Dorna Sports Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta. "The historic track, professional staff and welcoming host community produced an annual event that was enjoyed by all.

"While both sides recognise it's the right time to pause this relationship, the door is not closed on future collaborations together should current circumstances change."

The Circuit of the Americas will now be the only US MotoGP round in 2016, when the calendar will remain at 18-rounds due to the addition of Austria.

Fans who renewed tickets for a 2016 Indianapolis race will receive full reimbursements.

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

adios Indy we won't miss you ! I Laguna Seca wants back in ! it's time to escort the crispy Critters of SCRAMP out !!!! Their handling of the track has become a joke I know I've endured their incompetence enough especially at the last WSB event .The State has no money to put into the track to upgrade it to MOTO GP standards hell they don't have the money to even bring WSS ! as much as I hate to say it bring a change in ! the Daytona group wants the chance THEY have the money to bring the track up to standards required to bring World Class events back ! And they know it's the tens of thousands of GENERAL ADDMISSION ticket buyers who will make it work ! not the few VIP buyers that Laguna Seca seems to be loving on .Either way I'll be at COTA again next year