The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rejected a request for Jorge Lorenzo to participate in team-mate and title rival Valentino Rossi's penalty appeal.

Rossi, who leads Lorenzo by seven points heading into this weekend's championship showdown at Valencia, is seeking to have his Sepang penalty reduced or annulled.

The Italian received three penalty points for causing a collision that sent Marc Marquez out of the Malaysian race - and is due to start last on the grid at Valencia as a result.

Related Articles

To avoid such a setback Rossi has also asked the CAS to suspend his penalty until they reach a final judgement, which could take months. If the penalty is suspended, but the CAS later confirms the FIM punishment, Rossi would serve the last place punishment some time next season instead.

Given the title implications, Lorenzo sought to be involved in the hearing. The CAS did not explain why it rejected his request but it is thought to be simply because he was not directly involved in the Rossi-Marquez incident.

A subsequent statement issued by Lorenzo's management explained that the intention of the request had been to make sure the CAS understands the impact their decision could have on the world championship outcome and therefore Lorenzo.

The statement added that, although the request was rejected, the CAS has accepted unspecified additional information supplied by Lorenzo's lawyers. Lorenzo's manager Alberto Valera said the request had been a "moral obligation" and that they respect the decision already reached by Race Direction and the FIM.

A verdict on Rossi's request for "a stay of execution" on his penalty, which would allow him to start from his normal qualifying position on Sunday, is still due by Friday.

Interestingly, it seems that the approaches by both Rossi and Lorenzo to the CAS were made independently of Yamaha.

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

D*ck move by Lorenzo, even if he wins the championship, it wont matter, he's finished at Yamaha.

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!

serious4play:
AnOldTimer:
GrandPrixGuy: DISGUSTING![\blockquote]
Not really disgusting. Just sad that CAS would not listen to all interested parties.[\blockquote]
And how is JL directly involved? Unless as an old timer you have Alzheimer's I remember quite clearly JL was well ahead of this incident while his mate and cohort worked tirelessly to disrupt VR's championship.
Only involvement he has is trying to get another WC the easy way through the back door![\blockquote]

Maybe you said it yourself - "while his mate and cohort".

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!

Hope cricfree know their bandwith this weekend needs a huge boost for MotoGP.

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!

Yearby23: I think Lorenzo is just sick of Vale using his name to get what he wants.I don't condone him doing this and to be honest I'm sick of hearing about all the Sepang incident rubbish. Conspiracies, syndicates. It's a complete farce.

I might just not watch Valencia this weekend, I couldn't care less anymore.[\blockquote]

Can I remind you how Lorenzo used his name when he came to Yamaha to demand the same amount of salary as what Rossi had? And that Lorenzo wanted the same treatment/influence inside the team to what Rossi had build up? Lorenzo is the one who wants everything Rossi has, it starting with his demands than the celebrations and although Lorenzo loves the attention everything he's done so far is backfiring to him.

0 votes
+
Vote up!
-
Vote down!