Not for the first time, Jorge Lorenzo has insisted that his 2015 MotoGP title triumph was not devalued by the fracas surrounding team-mate Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez in Sepang and Valencia, and pointed to the statistics from his third title year, saying "they speak for themselves."

The three-time premier class champion chose to look at the numbers from the year, which show that he not only ended the season with the most points, but with more race wins than any other rider having substantially led more laps.

Fielding questions from the press at Movistar Yamaha's team launch in Barcelona, Lorenzo said that he wasn't involved in any on-track clashes between Rossi and Marquez, and feels they need to resolve their problems together.

Related Articles

Asked whether he felt his third world title, achieved in such high-pressure circumstances had been undervalued over the offseason, Lorenzo was adamant the "expert view" suggested otherwise.

"Not for my side," said the 28-year old. "And not for the expert view, because the people who really know about motorbikes and see all the championship, not only the races, but also the Friday practice, the Saturday practice, as well as the races, who see not only the statistics, but also see how everyone rides on the track.

"The thing is that this thing in Sepang happened, with M?rquez and Rossi, I was not involved, never on the track. It's not my game, it's something they have to solve all together. I will strive to do my best. And the statistics speak for themselves: I am the one with more victories, with more pole positions, more laps leading, a lot of podiums, I don't have to demonstrate anything to anyone.

"I've been the fastest one, and the one who deserved more the world title. Finally, for some circumstances, some conditions, sometimes some bad luck, I lose a lot of points, and this didn't help to arrive in Valencia with some points of advantage that will help me a lot to be more quiet and to win the championship with more advantage. Finally the important thing is we won the world title, and this is the thing that we will remember and will stay on the books."

Lorenzo emphasised the fact that he didn't clash on track with any other rider, but later admitted once more that his actions on the podium at Sepang, when he made a 'thumbs down' gesture while Rossi received his trophy for third place, were regrettable.

"We enjoyed an unbelievable show this year [2015], the most intense races in all history, and one of the most intense championships in all history. I always try to achieve the best performance in all the races. I don't have any collisions with any riders, the only thing that I regret and that I ask to be forgiven is the gesture I did on the podium in Malaysia, that I think was not the right image that I should do, and I should keep to myself my opinion, and don't demonstrate it.

"But apart from me, I didn't have any collision, any problem with other riders, so the feeling should be completely the same as one year ago. Apart from the popularity of the sport has grown, unfortunately, not always for positive reasons, but I think our sport after this unbelievable championship should be more important. I think."

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment

No disrespect to Lorenzo - he may be correct in his viewpoint(s) but the truth remains that the season ended in an 'altered circumstance'. And I believe there may not have been a 'pact' between him and Marquez but all the evidence support the fact that either Marquez's actions were purposely to keep Valentino from winning the championship or simply to favor their country (Spain). There is no disputing that - it is what it is....