Marco Simoncelli proved his wet victory at Jerez
one year ago was no fluke as he went from pole position to the top step of the podium for the second successive season in the 125cc Spanish Grand Prix.
The Aprilia teenager rode a controlled race in a typically frenetic lead group, which saw home hope Pablo Nieto crash his Derbi just two laps from the end when challenging for second place.
Nieto's misfortune opened the way for KTM rider Mika Kallio
to snatch second with a last-corner move on Fabrizio Lai, who took third on his debut for Honda.125cc Spanish Grand Prix - top ten:
1. Simoncelli (Aprilia)
2. Kallio (KTM) +1.418secs
3. Lai (Honda) +1.510secs
4. Pasini (Aprilia) +8.282secs
5. Talmacsi (KTM) +8.930secs
6. Poggiali (Gilera) +13.651secs
7. Faubel (Aprilia) +14.590secs
8. Olive (Aprilia) +17.164secs
9. Simon (KTM) +17.262secs
10. Hernandez (Aprilia) +31.147secs