Reigning 125cc world champion Gabor Talmacsi rebounded from his 'home' race disappointment at Brno, by taking provisional pole for Sunday's 125cc San Marino Grand Prix at Misano.
The Hungarian, off who slipped to fourth in the Czech Republic, took control from Bradley Smith shortly after the halfway stage of the 30 minute session, then defended his position after late pressure from rookie British Grand Prix winner Scott Redding.
Blusens Aprilia rider Redding finished the session 0.167secs behind Talmacsi's Aspar Aprilia, with championship leader Mike di Meglio third for Derbi and Smith fourth for Polaris World Aprilia.
Debut Brno winner Stefan Bradl was seventh fastest.
First qualifying - Misano:
1. Talmacsi (Aprilia) 1min 44.172secs
2. Redding (Aprilia) +0.167secs
3. di Meglio (Derbi) +0.441secs
4. Smith (Aprilia) +0.474secs
5. Terol (Aprilia) +0.534secs
6. Cortese (Aprilia) +0.620secs
7. Bradl (Aprilia) +0.884secs
8. Aergerter (Derbi) +0.967secs
9. Gadea (Aprilia) +0.978secs
10. Corsi (Aprilia) +1.165secs
17. Webb (Aprilia) +1.901secs