250cc World Championship leader Marco Simoncelli struck back from his last turn defeat at Brno by dominating first qualifying for Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix.
The Italian, like Casey Stoner in the MotoGP session, was 0.8secs clear for much of the Friday afternoon session, before a late run by Hector Barbera reduced the Gilera rider's provisional pole advantage to 0.512secs at the chequered flag.
Swiss Thomas Luthi was two tenths slower in third, with Hiroshi Aoyama fourth for KTM. Team-mate Mika Kallio, now 16 points behind Simoncelli in the championship, claimed seventh.
First qualifying - Misano:
1. Simoncelli (Gilera) 1min 38.400secs
2. Barbera (Aprilia) +0.512secs
3. Luthi (Aprilia) +0.709secs
4. Aoyama (KTM) +0.833secs
5. Takahashi (Honda) +1.020secs
6. Simon (KTM) +1.076secs
7. Kallio (KTM) +1.104secs
8. Pasini (Aprilia) +1.146secs
9. Faubel (Aprilia) +1.151secs
10. Espargaro (Aprilia) +1.277secs
16. Laverty (Aprilia) +1.917secs