The first 125cc qualifying session at Indianapolis ended with the unexpected sight of Lorenzo Zanetti on a wet provisional pole for Sunday's race.
The ISPA KTM Aran rider, a frontrunner for much the 30 minute session, edged out Donington Park winner Scott Redding by 0.393secs, with fellow Aprilia rider Andrea Iannone third and world championship leader Mike di Meglio fourth for Derbi.
Reigning world champion Gabor Talmacsi, winner last time out at Misano, fell whilst fastest in the early stages of the hour and eventually slipped to eleventh position.
First qualifying - Indianapolis:
1. Zanetti (KTM) 1min 58.491secs
2. Redding (Aprilia) +0.393secs
3. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.622secs
4. di Meglio (Derbi) +1.106secs
5. Marquez (KTM) +1.124secs
6. Cortese (Aprilia) +1.498secs
7. Bradl (Aprilia) +2.055secs
8. Smith (Aprilia) +2.232secs
9. Vasquez (Aprilia) +2.588secs
10. Terol (Aprilia) +2.643secs
20. Webb (Aprilia) +4.596secs