Pol Espargaro has taken the first ever 125cc pole position at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
With Friday's wet provisional times counting for nothing on the dry Indianapolis circuit, Espargaro waited until the closing stages before snatching a 0.737secs advantage that, whilst reduced, was never fully erased.
World championship leader Mike di Meglio got closest, finishing 0.369secs behind his fellow Derbi rider, while German Stefan Bradl and Briton Danny Webb complete the front row.
di Meglio's nearest title rival, Simone Corsi, will start seventh.
Misano winner Gabor Talmacsi, who fractured his left scaphoid on Friday, suffered further disappointment in the form of a technical problem at the close of qualifying. The reigning world champion will line-up 16th on the grid.
Shock provisional pole sitter Lorenzo Zanetti was left a modest 28th in the dry.
Final qualifying - Indianapolis:
1. Espargaro (Derbi) 1min 50.475secs
2. di Meglio (Derbi) +0.369secs
3. Bradl (Aprilia) +0.403secs
4. Webb (Aprilia) +0.525secs
5. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.556secs
6. Terol (Aprilia) +0.704secs
7. Corsi (Aprilia) +0.736secs
8. Aergerter (Derbi) +0.785secs
9. Redding (Aprilia) +0.799secs
10. Cortese (Aprilia) +1.076secs
11. Smith (Aprilia) +1.097secs