Stefan Bradl has taken his second grand prix victory after holding off world championship leader Mike di Meglio during Sunday's 125ccc Japanese Grand Prix.
Bradl, di Meglio and reigning world champion Gabor Talmacsi were able to break away from the rest of the field heading into the closing stages of the 20 lap race, the last lap of which began with Bradl enjoying a vital 0.4secs lead.
The Grizzly Gas Kiefer Racing Aprilia rider lost most of that advantage during the final circulation, but remained unshaken and never allowed di Meglio room for a victory move.
Talmacsi, riding with an injured wrist, was in turn unable to overcome di Meglio's Derbi and the top three crossed the finish line covered by just 0.281secs.
With Simone Corsi finishing in seventh, di Meglio's title lead has grown to 36 points with three rounds remaining.
Race results - Motegi:
1. Bradl (Aprilia)
2. di Meglio (Derbi) +0.151secs
3. Talmacsi (Aprilia) +0.281secs
4. Olive (Derbi) +5.945secs
5. Terol (Aprilia) +6.072secs
6. Cortese (Aprilia) +6.135secs
7. Corsi (Aprilia) +6.455secs
8. Redding (Aprilia) +25.393secs
9. Gadea (Aprilia) +25.537secs
10. Webb (Aprilia) +26.192secs
Smith (Aprilia) DNF