125cc World Championship leader Mike di Meglio took the second pole position of his career, and second in a row, at Phillip Island on Saturday.
The Frenchman edged out Englishman Bradley Smith (who fell) by 0.238secs, with fellow Aprilia riders Stefan Bradl and Nicolas Terol completing the front row.
Simone Corsi, who is now 36 points behind di Meglio in the championship standings, will start from eighth on the grid. If di Meglio can leave Phillip island with a lead of over 50 points then he will be crowned world champion with two rounds still remaining.
Final qualifying - Phillip Island:
1. di Meglio (Derbi) 1min 37.553secs
2. Smith (Aprilia) +0.238secs
3. Bradl (Aprilia) +0.481secs
4. Terol (Aprilia) +0.557secs
5. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.689secs
6. Cortese (Aprilia) +0.808secs
7. de Rosa (KTM) +0.920secs
8. Corsi (Aprilia) +0.923secs
9. Talmacsi (Aprilia) +0.948secs
10. Aergerter (Derbi) +1.047secs
11. Redding (Aprilia) +1.214secs
15. Webb (Aprilia) +1.359secs