Simone Corsi has taken a wet provisional pole for the final round of the 2008 125cc World Championship, at Valencia.
The Jack and Jones Aprilia rider, who will start the final race just six points behind second in the championship Gabor Talmacsi, held command throughout the second part of the half-hour session to finish 0.150sec ahead of ISPA KTM's Lorenzo Zanetti.
American Steve Bonsey, fastest in the opening stages, claimed a competitive third for Degraaf Aprilia with Swiss Dominique Aergerter completing the front row for Ajo Motorsport.
Danny Webb bounced back from his nightmare Sepang race to head the overnight second row, with Sepang winner and 2007 world champion Talmacsi eleventh for Mapfre Aprilia.
First qualifying - Valencia:
1. Corsi (Aprilia) 1min 59.809sec
2. Zanetti (KTM) +0.150sec
3. Bonsey (Aprilia) +0.191sec
4. Aergerter (Derbi) +0.196sec
5. Webb (Aprilia) +0.618sec
6. Terol (Aprilia) +0.783sec
7. van den Berg (Aprilia) +0.981sec
8. Olive (Derbi) +1.228sec
9. de Rosa (KTM) +1.413sec
10. Lasser (Aprilia) +1.435sec
18. Redding (Aprilia) +2.987sec
23. Smith (Aprilia) +3.957sec