Crash.Net MOTOGP News
Elias claims first Honda victory
5 September 2004
Toni Elías returned to the top step of the podium for the first time since last October with a determined ride which saw off a strong challenge from Sebastian Porto in today's 250cc Portuguese Grand Prix.
Elías chased the Argentinean over the opening stages before a typically aggressive move on lap ten sparked an entertaining tussle which went right to the end.
However, an incredible final lap from Elías which smashed the circuit record proved too much for Porto, who was happy to settle for second place. Randy de Puniet held off a late challenge from Dani Pedrosa to seal third after a lonely ride.
Fourth place for Pedrosa, who later complained of a slow puncture to his rear tyre, means his championship lead is cut back to 27 points over the Frenchman.
17 year-old Chaz Davies, riding with stitches in his left arm and a swollen hand following his crash on Friday morning, finished just out of the points in 16th place.250cc top ten – Portuguese Grand Prix:
1. Elias (Honda)
2. Porto (Aprilia) +0.323secs
3. De Puniet (Aprilia) +9.918secs
4. Pedrosa (Honda) +9.935secs
5. De Angelis (Aprilia) +21.441secs
6. West (Aprilia) +27.638secs
7. Poggiali (Aprilia) +27.866secs
8. Debon (Honda) +34.673secs
9. Aoyama (Honda) +45.923secs
10. Rolfo (Honda) +54.238secs
16. Davies (Aprilia) +1min 14.925secs