Hiroshi Aoyama has taken an emotional home win in today's 250cc Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi - the Movistar Honda rider clinching his first ever GP win after a faultless performance that saw him finish over 5secs clear of team-mate, and world champion, Dani Pedrosa.
Pedrosa, who had struggled in qualifying, would himself win a thrilling fight with Alex de Angelis
to claim the runner-up position, but the San Marinese rider would be denied third after running wide during his last lap battle with Dani - and colliding with Jorge Lorenzo, after the Fortuna Honda rider tried to take advantage of the mistake.
Lorenzo retired - and was later banned from the next race at Sepang - but de Angelis limped home in seventh, the final place on the podium then going to a slightly surprised Casey Stoner.250cc top ten – Japanese GP:
1. H. Aoyama (Honda)
2. Pedrosa (Honda) +5.313secs
3. Stoner (Aprilia) +7.781secs
4. Takahashi (Honda) +10.222secs
5. De Puniet (Aprilia) +10.763secs
6. Dovizioso (Honda) +11.054secs
7. De Angelis (Aprilia) +19.199secs
8. Barbera (Honda) +24.665secs
9. Debon (Honda) +37.683secs
10. Guintoli (Aprilia) +38.122secs
Davies (Aprilia) DNF