Crash.Net MOTOGP News
250: Lorenzo extends lead with seventh win
10 September 2006
Jorge Lorenzo extended his lead over Andrea Dovizioso in the 250cc World Championship to 12 points with victory in Malaysia, although his Italian rival kept up the pressure with a second place.
Neither rider was first out of the blocks, with Roberto Locatelli taking the holeshot and controlling the race in the early stages before going off-track.
Lorenzo's team-mate and Malaysian poleman Hector Barbera saw his chances literally go up in flames on lap 2, when a highside from the Spaniard sent sparks along the track. Another contender, Hiroshi Aoyama, pulled up soon after with a mechanical problem.
Alex de Angelis stepped into contention, but his involvement only served to increase the gap between Lorenzo and Dovizioso as he put himself in the middle of the championship frontrunners. He eventually finished third, ahead of Yuki Takahashi, Roberto Locatelli and Shuhei Aoyama. Sylvain Guintoli, Marco Simoncelli, Aleix Espargaro and Jules Cluzel completed the top ten.250cc top ten – Malaysian Grand Prix:
1. Lorenzo (Aprilia)
2. Dovizioso (Honda) +5.428secs
3. de Angelis (Aprilia) +10.225secs
4. Takahashi (Honda) +25.669secs
5. Locatelli (Aprilia) +31.152secs
6. S. Aoyama (Honda) +39.936secs
7. Guintoli (Aprilia) +50.672secs
8. Simoncelli (Gilera) +1min 6.107secs
9. Espargaro (Honda) +1min 6.556secs
10. Cluzel (Aprilia) +1min 17.868secs