Crash.Net MotoGP News
250: Lorenzo three from four
6 May 2007
Reigning 250cc world champion Jorge Lorenzo took his third win from four starts with a typically dominant victory in Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai.
KTM's Mika Kallio grabbed an early lead into turn one, before being passed by factory Aprilia star Lorenzo along the back straight. But the Spaniard ran wide at the hairpin, dropping him behind Andrea Dovizioso and Alex de Angelis.
Lorenzo recovered and repassed Dovizioso for the lead, with 15 laps to go, when the Italian ran wide at the hairpin. Thereafter Lorenzo rode into the distance, eventually winning by almost four seconds.
While de Angelis faded, Dovizioso faced late race pressure for second place from reigning 125cc champion Alvaro Bautista, who passed the Honda rider on the penultimate lap. Dovi sliced back underneath on the last lap, but lost out on top speed along the back straight - and was then unceremoniously muscled out onto the rumble strip by Bautista under braking for the hairpin.Race results – Shanghai:
1. Lorenzo (Aprilia)
2. Bautista (Aprilia) +3.904secs
3. Dovizioso (Honda) +5.031secs
4. de Angelis (Aprilia) +6.560secs
5. Kallio (KTM) +10.248secs
6. Barbera (Aprilia) +10.502secs
7. Simon (Honda) +10.832secs
8. Luthi (Aprilia) +30.484secs
9. H. Aoyama (KTM) +32.895secs
10. Lai (Aprilia) +50.977secs
17. Laverty (Honda) 1min +47.005secs