Sebastián Porto completed a perfect weekend in the 250cc class, by taking an authoritative victory at Qatar after dominating every single practice and qualifying session.
Dani Pedrosa and Alex de Angelis gave chase to the Argentinean but only Pedrosa could keep pace, eventually consolidating his lead at the top of the championship with second place.
De Angelis suffered heartbreak two laps from the end, retiring form a comfortable third place with a mechanical problem and allowing Hiroshi Aoyama to pick up his second podium in as many races after a close battle with Franco Battaini.
A crash for Randy de Puniet leaves him virtually out of the chase for the title, with Porto moving up to second and trailing Pedrosa by 43 points. This means that Pedrosa can win the title by scoring eight points more than Porto in the next round at Sepang.
Meanwhile, Chaz Davies finished just out of the points in 16th place after fighting back from a poor start.
250cc Qatar Grand Prix – top ten:
1. Porto (Aprilia)
2. Pedrosa (Honda) +1.614secs
3. Aoyama (Honda) +43.312secs
4. Battaini (Aprilia) +45.127secs
5. Nieto (Aprilia) +47.182secs
6. Elias (Honda) +59.471secs
7. Rolfo (Honda) +1min 11.413secs
8. Debon (Honda) +1min 22.12secs
9. Marchand (Aprilia) +1min 22.162secs
10. Olive (Aprilia) +1min 29.038secs
16. Davies (Aprilia) +1min 53.335secs