The 127,000 Jerez crowd had plenty of reason to cheer in today's 250cc Spanish Grand Prix, as reigning world champion Dani Pedrosa and his Honda stormed to a clear home victory over Aprilia's Sebastian Porto.
Randy de Puniet and Casey Stoner both crashed out of third place to leave Aprilia colleague Alex de Angelis with his third career podium in the quarter-litre class ahead of Honda debutantes Andrea Dovizioso, Hector Barberá and Andrea Dovizioso.
Meanwhile, Eighteen-year-old Aprilia Germany rider Chaz Davies opened his season with a solid 11th place after fighting off the challenge of Radomil Rous to secure his best ever start to a grand prix season.
"I've got to be pleased with 11th place and some important world championship points, certainly after the problems I usually find at the start of the season," said Davies. "I had some handing problems but I've opened my account and that's really important."
250cc Spanish Grand Prix - top ten:
1. Pedrosa (Honda)
2. Porto (Aprilia) +2.136secs
3. De Angelis (Aprilia) +29.682secs
4. Dovizioso (Honda) +36.539secs
5. Barbera (Honda) +37.499secs
6. Lorenzo (Honda) +37.728secs
7. Locatelli (Aprilia) +45.038secs
8. Debon (Honda) +56.339secs
9. Corsi (Aprilia) +1min 2.844secs
10. Giansanti (Aprilia) +1min 10.708secs
11. Davies (Aprilia) +1min 20.790secs