Dani Pedrosa denied Randy De Puniet home victory with a last lap move just three corners from the end of an exciting 250cc French Grand Prix to recover the world championship lead by four points over Andrea Dovizioso.
Dovizioso led for the opening nine laps before Casey Stoner, De Puniet, Jorge Lorenzo and Pedrosa all took turns at the front, with the Frenchman grasping control on the penultimate lap.
The 75,000 crowd were on their feet as De Puniet looked certain to take victory but Pedrosa produced a stunning recovery to take his second win of the season with just a few corners to go. Dovizioso clinched the final podium spot in third place with Stoner and Lorenzo completing the top five.
Meanwhile, eighteen year-old Chaz Davies kept the British flag flying with a hard earned 12th place, the Aprilia Germany rider recovering from a bad start to pick up four welcome championship points.
250cc top ten - French Grand Prix:
1. Pedrosa (Honda)
2. De Puniet (Aprilia) +0.251secs
3. Dovizioso (Honda) +1.554secs
4. Stoner (Aprilia) +4.230secs
5. Lorenzo (Honda) +6.027secs
6. Aoyama (Honda) +23.969secs
7. Barbera (Honda) +30.667secs
8. Debon (Honda) +32.039secs
9. Guintoli (Aprilia) +32.452secs
10. Takahashi (Honda) +37.772secs
12. Davies (Aprilia) +49.509secs