Despite Sete Gibernau's disappointment in the MotoGP race there was plenty for the local crowd to celebrate in the 250cc Catalan Grand Prix as Dani Pedrosa
took his third straight victory by a comfortable margin of 5.637 seconds over Casey Stoner.
Pedrosa was forced to battle his way through the pack in an explosive start to the race after almost stalling his bike on the line, his cause aided by a collision between front-runners Jorge Lorenzo, who broke his collarbone, and Alex de Angelis
- plus a mechanical problem for Héctor Barberá and mistakes by Randy De Puniet and Sebastian Porto.
Stoner now moves up to second in the championship ahead of Andrea Dovizioso, who clinched a brave third place today after missing yesterday's final qualifying practice due to injuries sustained in a high-speed morning accident.
Further back, privateer Chaz Davies rose from 15th on the grid to an excellent eighth before his rear tyre began to shred rubber and then - with just three laps remaining - dirt got into the carburettor and his engine seized.250cc top ten – Catalan Grand Prix:
1. Pedrosa (Honda)
2. Stoner (Aprilia) +5.637ecs
3. Dovizioso (Honda) +10.597secs
4. Aoyama (Honda) +17.638secs
5. Corsi (Aprilia) +19.499secs
6. De Puniet (Aprilia) +33.235secs
7. Takahashi (Honda) +37.408secs
8. Guintoli (Aprilia) +37.530secs
9. Giansanti (Aprilia) +42.814secs
10. Baldolini (Aprilia) +43.611secs
Davies (Aprilia) DNF