Thomas Lüthi has put one hand on the 125cc World Champion after his only remaining rival for the title, Mika Kallio, crashed out of today's Turkish Grand Prix.
Kallio slid out of the battle for victory on the final lap, meaning a podium finish for Lüthi would have been enough to seal the title.
However, a frantic finale saw the Swiss teenager cross the line at the back of the lead group in fifth place, meaning he now needs at least two points from the last round at Valencia.
French teenager Mike Di Meglio celebrated his maiden victory and was joined on the podium by Mattia Pasini and Tomoyoshi Koyama.
125cc top ten – Turkish GP:
1. di Meglio (Honda)
2. Pasini (Aprilia) +0.105secs
3. Koyama (Honda) +0.156secs
4. Talmacsi (KTM) +0.271secs
5. Luthi (Honda) +0.417secs
6. Simoncelli (Aprilia) +5.752secs
7. Lai (Honda) +6.148secs
8. Rodriguez (Aprilia) +6.294secs
9. Olive (Aprilia) +6.611secs
10. Iannone (Aprilia) +17.119secs