Mika Kallio did all he could to try and secure the 2005 125cc World Championship at today's Valencia season finale - the Finn taking a dramatic last turn victory, but ninth place for Thomas Luthi was more than enough to hand the world title to the Swiss rider.
However, in a dramatic twist of fate, today's results mean that Kallio lost out on the title by just 5-points - which is exactly the number of points he lost when KTM team-mate Gabor Talmacsi ignored team orders and beat Kallio for victory at the Qatar Grand Prix.
Talmacsi would finish second today after following his team-mate past Aprilia's long time race leader Mattia Pasini on the run to the line.
125cc top ten – Valencia GP:
1. Kallio (KTM)
2. Talmacsi (KTM) +0.237secs
3. Pasini (Aprilia) +0.367secs
4. Faubel (Aprilia) +12.401secs
5. Simoncelli (Aprilia) +17.009secs
6. Koyama (Honda) +20.635secs
7. Lai (Honda) +20.670secs
8. Simon (KTM) +20.809secs
9. Luthi (Honda) +23.517secs
10. Nieto (Derbi) +32.805secs