Yuki Takahashi has taken his second 250cc victory of 2006 after a sensational final corner move at the Sachsenring.
The Japanese rider hadn't led the field at any point up until the ascending turn, and had caught up with de Angelis on a sensational last lap. The win represented Honda's 200th victory in the quarter litre category.
The result was cruel to de Angelis, who had led the race since lap nine, and at one point looked to be out of the reach of the trailing pack. The San Marino native - yet to win a GP - tried to regain the lead on the line, but with his front wheel lifting was unable to take the top spot.
Jorge Lorenzo took third in the race, which puts him back on top of the 250cc World Championship. The Spaniard had a bad start from pole, but by lap two had regained the lead before battling first with de Angelis, then with Takahashi, Andrea Dovizioso and team-mate Hector Barbera.
Dovizioso came in fourth, ahead of Barbera, Roberto Locatelli, Anthony West, Aoyama brothers Hiroshi and Shuhei, and Sylvain Guintoli.
250cc top ten – German Grand Prix:
1. Takahashi (Honda)
2. de Angelis (Aprilia) +0.058secs
3. Lorenzo (Aprilia) +1.013secs
4. Dovizioso (Honda) +4.021secs
5. Barbera (Aprilia) +9.384secs
6. Locatelli (Aprilia) +19.242secs
7. West (Aprilia) +26.457secs
8. H. Aoyama (KTM) +26.607secs
9. S. Aoyama (Honda) +26.741secs
10. Guintoli (Aprilia) +30.621secs
19. Linfoot (Honda) +1 lap