250cc World Championship leader Jorge Lorenzo held off a last gasp attack from Alex de Angelis to win his eighth race of the season at Phillip Island on Sunday.
Lorenzo won by just 0.009secs after eternal runner-up de Angelis, still to win a 250GP, launched a late slipstreaming attack on the run to the flag - but the Fortuna rider held firm to extend his championship lead to 24 points over Andrea Dovizioso, who finished fourth.
KTM's Hiroshi Aoyama finished a lonely third, almost six seconds behind the top two, with Dovizioso 12 seconds further back.
250cc top ten – Australian Grand Prix:
1. Lorenzo (Aprilia)
2. de Angelis (Aprilia) +0.009secs
3. H. Aoyama (KTM) +6.560secs
4. Dovizioso (Honda) +18.196secs
5. S. Aoyama (Honda) +36.000secs
6. Barbera (Aprilia) +36.484secs
7. Locatelli (Aprilia) +37.050secs
8. Smrz (Aprilia) +37.134secs
9. West (Aprilia) +59.653secs
10. Simoncelli (Gilera) +1min 3.829secs