F1 » Button 'not going to get result Silverstone fans want'

Jenson Button is resigned to the fact that he won't be a contender for the podium at his home race as McLaren's malaise drags on.

thelogicalview

June 11, 2013 10:44 AM

I believe Button is just acknowledging the obvious, while he usually toes the company line he has been rather more critical of late and his recent comments that he was not looking at extending his Mclaren contract suggest that he might be on the move. I assume he has a get out clause in his contract and he would have good reason to use it given the appalling performance from Mclaren this season. The problem lies in his relative age and the fact that he is in the later stages of a long career. He says he wants another championship so a move would need to be to a top three team. The only likely option is Ferrari who showed interest, he would have to accept the NO2 slot but he has shown that he is not afraid of taking on the best from within the same team. I believe this could be the shock move at the end of the season especially with Massa having a torrid time at the moment.

elijah

June 11, 2013 11:13 AM

@thelogicalview
the Mirror newspaper quotes Jenson is saying,“We're so far behind, we're never going to win the championship this year”.

So yes I believe he is saying the obvious,but Ferrari wouldn't take him.

walrus909

June 11, 2013 1:40 PM

(posted by not a buttun hater)
What about the other Brit teams? Their fan's might get the result they want. BTW, is Button the only driver to still actually live in G.B? Maybe more of the fans are pulling for a certain ex-pat.Who knows?

palindrome1H

June 11, 2013 2:23 PM

Like I said in another article, I'm not a Mclaren fan but McLaren need to go back to last year's car. Instant competitor. Done. Sometimes you need to admit when you got it completely wrong. Instead, they are so stubborn that they said they won't do it and are willing to throw this season out the window just because of pride. I would have never expected this from a world class team. I have a feeling that if this happened to Ferrari or RBR, they would have went back to the old spec by now and just continued developing them. But both those teams made the right call and just keep improving their design.

thelogicalview

June 11, 2013 2:32 PM

I agree, just how long is it going to be before this year's
car is competitive? I don't believe they know and they don't also know what 's wrong with it otherwise there would have been some improvement by now. They are on a loser whatever they do so I guess they are looking towards next year's car which could also be a problem given it is there last year with a Mercedes engine It's no wonder Button has started to complain. With very good reason I would say!

richard

June 11, 2013 6:06 PM

palindrome. I don't think that it is that easy. the car for 2013 is different to last years car, and has been homologated. I am unsure if the old car would now have to be re homologated for 2013. it is better to persevere with the current car in preparation for next year

pcxmac

June 11, 2013 8:01 PM

Button in a lotus would be a good move imo. Hes a cooler customer than grosjean and lotus need a good points driver to back up Raikonen.

*then again McLaren might have one heck of a car next year. I think McLaren should give up this dead horse and go back to something that is known to work.

1 2  »