Motorsports » Ferrari sets September deadline for 2014 switch

Stefano Domenicali concedes that his Ferrari team could switch its focus from Fernando Alonso's 2013 title bid to concentrating on its car for next season's wholesale rule changes.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

richard

August 29, 2013 9:13 PM

giving up already? that is the difference between rbr and Ferrari, and what makes rbr a winner. this happened last year as well, but ferdi nearly lucked into the title. and team hoping to win the title, any proper team must continue development until it is mathematically impossible to win. maybe Ferrari are depending on rbr to be delayed with their 2014 car. it didn't work before, so is unlikely to work this time.

Taipan

August 29, 2013 9:27 PM

Richard, I agree that if you want to win it you have to throw everything at it and RBR have been the best at doing that and still taking care of the next model over recent years.
But Alonso almost lucking into the title last season, really? I'll never take anything away from Vettel for winning it but Alonso drove superbly last season and if he had won it it would have been fully deserved.

"Ferrari having not had a mechanical failure on his car since Sepang in 2010"

Amazing statistic, 30 years ago it was unusual for a Ferrari to last 3 races without a breakdown, now it's 3 years!

Firestorm

August 29, 2013 11:57 PM

Remember 2009. Ferrari and McLaren developed their cars until the very end of the 2008 season because they were fighting for the WDC which was decided at the last corner of the last lap in the last race of the season. Renault too developed their cars until the end in order to demonstrate to Alonso, the world and themselves that they still can win. And at the begining of 2009 they were completely lost. Together with Force India they were the four most miserable car in the first few races. So I doubt they will do the same mistake especially after the title fight isn't so close this time as it was in 2008.

MoD1982

August 30, 2013 12:57 AM

Someone needs to step up sooner rather than later, regardless of who. If RB win the championship early they can devote more time to the new car.
We all know how dominant the team is right now, and that's factoring in developing until season's end with each new car's predecessor... Now picture a Newey-penned Red Bull with no distractions from the previous season... Anybody see where I'm going with this? It's not a nice picture, in fact it threatens to blot out the red painting from the turn of the century.
And does anybody remember how many people turned away from F1 then, when nobody other than Ferrari won championships?

There's a lot of negativity on this website, bashing in comments towards people either having a different opinion or shock horror, getting their facts wrong. Heck, I imagine people will be reading this and thinking I'm a bit of a berk for even trying to make the point. And my point is this: an early Red Bull championship victory is not a good thing. Can we all put our

F1Rules

August 30, 2013 2:35 AM

Vettel will most likely win this season and next season as well. There is no one that can stop him right now. May not be great fun for all the fans, but that's just the way it is.

From the way Adrian Newey speaks whenever interviewed, I believe they have a separate team already laying the groundwork and working towards the 2014 car, even though they're still developing the 2013 car. For them, it is not a case of stopping work on the current car before starting work on the next one. I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.

WadeAus

August 30, 2013 9:42 AM

I don't understand why people think that Vettel will automatically win next season as well. In case anyone has forgotten, there are new engines next year which no one has used, not even Red Bull. So ANYTHING could happen. We may see Marussia's in the top ten, the whole field could be turned upside down!

I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull are on the back foot, since they aren't a manufacturer's team like Ferrari and Mercedes, and probably haven't had as long to look at these engines.

malcolm mitchell

August 31, 2013 8:30 AM

I wonder if the FIA can tell us how next year is going green in Todd words, the amount of money and resources going into making a new engine alone will run into £100m plus per team, that's just a start, and they don't sound good, just to cut back on fuel use, to look good in the public eye was one report I read, just does not make any sense, went to British GP this year to hear a F1 car as it should sound, when you read what Ferrari are saying gives an idea what's involved, an utter waste of money, if it ain't broke don't fix, fits well.

Cardiocirugia

September 01, 2013 12:14 AM

Although I am a mexican and of course I support Sergio Perez and Esteban Gutierrez, I have been a tifosi for so many years that I still go for Ferrari, that being said, I have sadly to agree with both richard and Taipan, especially with richard in regard to "giving up already? that is the difference between rbr and Ferrari, and what makes rbr a winner", I can´t believe that Ferrari is giving up for whatever excuse, I can´t believe those words came form Domenicali, particularly after the pulling ears Luca di Montezemolo gave to Fernando Alonso after Alonso´s comments on his birthday about his wishes. Yes richard you are right when you say you must continue in any sport until you are mathematically out of any possibility to rich the 1rst position. That is what Fernando Alonso says and he behaves exactly like a world champion, something that his team is not doing. I believe that tif you think in the way Domenicali is talking you don´t deserve to win the world championship.