Crash.Net User: Jack Mordino

Comments rating: 1018
Position in rating: 85

Show Comments on:

Jack Mordino

July 19, 2012 7:33 PM

MotoGP » Dovizioso making Tech 3 MotoGP podium history

TalentFan: I agree with all you said in your last posts. On Rossi overplaying his hand, his slightly diminished competitiveness come '10 and onwards (he had even admitted that himself at some point, at least for that particular time period of that interview he had given), about Lorenzo having come of age (look at how calmly confident he looks at that Lorenzo-Spies photo) and, of course Dovizioso. I think that Rossi won't manage to beat Lorenzo but give him a run for his money and provide us with some spectacle in the process. Also I think he still is better than Dovizioso though. After all, maybe the "stone" years at Ducati may have made him hungry for victories again (and redemption perhaps).

Jack Mordino

July 19, 2012 6:05 PM

MotoGP » Dovizioso making Tech 3 MotoGP podium history

TalentFan: I'll agree that the enjoyment of a sports is a subjective thing. If political games water it down for you, then you'll get disappointed forever, motorsports have had that since their advent -look at what is happening in F1 over the years, now THAT is some gamesmanship! I'll disagree with your point about Rossis accolades having been won on "gamesmanship" however, except of course for '08 when his "forced" move to Bridgestone allowed him to compete with Ducati/Stoner on equal tyres for the crown (notice: on equal, not better). Remember, he doesn't always get his way: His ultimatum on Yamaha "me or Lorenzo" didn't work and at the end he had to depart (and fall in the greatest traps of all motorsports: the one Stoner set for him in making the ducati look good. Stoner pulled that trick off so successfully and I'm still smiling about that :) )

Jack Mordino

July 19, 2012 6:05 PM

MotoGP » Dovizioso making Tech 3 MotoGP podium history

cont-: And I'll make another point, to show you that it's not only Rossi that pulls muscle: Honda performed a big chunk of "gamesmanship" and pulled lots of political muscle in order to reduce capacities to 800cc. Not only did they see this would re-shuffle the deck and maybe stop the Rossi/Yamaha pair domination (maybe they thought this would suit Pedrosa too) but they also had their engine ready for that: A 990cc V5 minus a cylinder is a 800cc V4. Of course the final engine was different than that but they had somewhwere to start from in contrast with the others. And another point: If he really relied on politics then he would have pulled his magic strings in order to ban desmo and deprive Ducati of their depressive horsepower advantage they enjoyed over Yamaha in 07 but he didn't.

Jack Mordino

July 19, 2012 6:06 PM

MotoGP » Dovizioso making Tech 3 MotoGP podium history

cont-: As a bottom line, at this current point, MotoGP is fighting for its very survival and Rossi on a competitive bike is one of the few solutions left to Ezpeleta. So I think that especially at this point we should cut some slack to whatever political games are taking place because they are in the direction of preserving its spectacle and that can only be a good thing. Anyway, i don't really think Rossi actually has at this point of his career the motivation or courage to get up to where Lorenzo is but I wouldn't bet a dime on this, I had said this in '07 too and then he went on to win another 2 ch'ships :) . By the way, thanks for this conversation, it's been nice and thoughtful and lacking any insults and I am enjoying it.

Jack Mordino

July 19, 2012 1:51 PM

MotoGP » Dovizioso making Tech 3 MotoGP podium history

TalentFan: Agreed. But these demands (Bridgestone for 2008, pit wall for Lorenzo -can't think of any other at the moment) surely don't really detract from his riding ability. Yes, pulling that kind of political muscle may seem questionable from a certain point of view but who wouldn't if he had this muscle? Apart from that, he didn't really break any rules, thrice he did and he got punished for the two of them (passing under a yellow flag, sweeping starting spot and pushing Gibernau to the gravel -and for the latter this is my own assumption, I like to be as objective as possible. Rossi should have been punished for that move). What I'm trying to say is that Rossi never actually had any illegitimate or exclusive racing "advantage" over the others, just the usual factory support stuff that I described in my previous post. He did, indeed have (and does) an unusual political one and the way he utilizes it is to try and get rid of whatever racing disadvantages lay on his way. So, my bott

Jack Mordino

July 19, 2012 12:31 PM

MotoGP » Dovizioso making Tech 3 MotoGP podium history

Talent Fan: I don't disagree with you. What you say is what happens to all motorsports. Every team tries to win and does what it can to achieve it. The fact that Rossi had the "best bikes, parts and teams" was because the respective factory which employed him considered him as the best candidate for extra support. All other factories did the same with their best talents. Before Rossi got the "best bikes, parts and teams" he was just another "would be". But he earned it through his performances all throughout 1996-2000. Doohan had it before him too (special specification engine for him), and it goes way more back, to the birth of motorsports themselves I am sure. What you say is true but happens to all top talents to whichever team they have them. So your overlying point about how "special" a tretment Rossi in particular had isn't proven at all.

« 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  »