Crash.Net User: RSMick

Comments rating: 891
Position in rating: 131

Show Comments on:

RSMick

February 17, 2014 7:55 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

The ECU will have the data programmed in by the engineer, not the previous laps, an engineers view of the data recorded. then again who knows what would have been under Honda's. This is my very basic understanding of it. It would basically say 'If throttle pos = **, and fork pos =**, and swingarm = **, and brake press=**, and gear =**, and wheel speed =**, then let power =**' So it starts the process of if power =**, then let butterfly position = ** cylinder 2 = off, cylinder 1= fuel **%, spark= 1in2 and so on and so on. Then add the if nots, ifs and ors for every permutation, also keep monitoring wheel speed between front and back to make sure it is coming down, the wheel speed is a process on its own counting the pulses as is the revs. It will do this all the time until its told to jump to the next section, where the comparrisons will start again but with different targets.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 8:09 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

Each time it has worked out where it is and what is occuring it will probably jump to the parameters required and only process these, however it has to find them. I do not know how many processors these have, but each one (if multiple) will have to do scans of logic and send it to another processor, if one it will have to scan the lot. This all takes time and depending on the speed of the processor and how much code, like reading a book the more words the longer it takes to read and write, although interupts and jumps are likely to be in place, like skipping the chapter you don't need. The likely scan (loop) time maybe as small as 10ms so it will be a hundred times a second, it may be less if the scan time is more. Then the mechanically aspects of it need to react and in a safe manner, cutting power at the wrong time could be disastrous, again these are not instant but bloody quick. Remember I am trying to put it simple and in line with what I do (not automotive), and these guys are

RSMick

February 17, 2014 5:58 PM

MotoGP » BT Sport reveals MotoGP TV line-up

The Dorna pass gives you insights into almost all the subjects covered, and lots lots more. It is however straight down the line with no humour or interactions and without Melanie Sykes to jazz over. Dorna have put up the 'sign up for WSB' as well not bad at 60 quid, got to be better than the woeful Eurosport coverage which is fine if you just want to watch the race.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 5:21 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

It is possible by using the gear box, revs and lots and lots of code, I would imagine its sequential as well, what is myth is that it can help them in all eventualities, it can't and it takes time to react and needs human to take over when wrong. Take the Pedrosa incident at Aragon, by time the ECU had checked and checked again if the proximity sensor was there Pedrosa was already flying through the air. Maybe a good example is Asimo, as that is what it was developed for, before it starts any leg movement, lots of checks and calculations take place taking time. Then when something goes outside its expectations cannot correct itself in time and hits the deck, it has to read the incoming info then go to the code for that correction then calculate the difference between where he should be and where he is at then act upon it, bit like reading a repair manual where it says jump to page 7. Asimo only runs the program he needs to do the task in hand. ..

RSMick

February 17, 2014 1:21 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

How long do you think it takes to react? They can pre-empt a problem and attempt to react, but what if the rider reacts in a different way to what the software is told to? A perfect lap should not be hard to write the code for, but step outside that then there is a problem, a perfect lap for one rider will not be for another. Maybe you should go on twitter, follow some riders and people involved and put your points to them. Or maybe study motorcycle software engineering, it is just a more complicated switching a generater on or off if conditions are ok and limiting who uses the power available from the source. The only area that it really affects the championship outcome is by the bikes and riders fuel not running out before the end of the race and the engines lasting, not the riders talent

RSMick

February 17, 2014 2:13 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

Absolutely, and how many people accused him of only winning his championship and following races because of electronics and tyre only to be proved wrong? I still wince at the thought of him going down craner curves in the wet and no burbling from electonics cutting the power, even if they did to stay on adverse camber at that speed was incredible. They have various settings available to them and the off button, they use very little in qualifying, whcih if you want to see the talent is the time to watch. Racecraft is a talent within itself, even if your riding at the same speed settings as the guy in front of you. Ha, another blue page turner could be seen as an unecessary reader/writer aid, as is the direct page target, get rid of it.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 1:50 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

As I see it Codger, like when I raced at the back, I wanted what the next guy had even if I had it would not have made me any faster, as I told my son prove your fast with what you have then you can have the next step. I could go on about the theories of why they do that but I can relate it to an electric motor in that a motor operates at a peak power at certain revs. If I use a variable speed drive (inverter) I can increase the speed above 50/60Hz but lose the efficiency, so could change the gearbox but would then need more KW/HP to run that, I dont always need that power and speed so may limit the current and frequency to control and protect the motor, then I may need a lot of torque so pile on current in controlled manner but limit the frequency, to prevent damage to motor and plant, also the power consumed and unecessary peaks. All in all the more power I have available the faster I can drive it at the times I need to without losing efficiency or torque. I am sure you know that.

« 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  »