Crash.Net User: RSMick

Comments rating: 878
Position in rating: 133

Show Comments on:

RSMick

February 17, 2014 5:21 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

It is possible by using the gear box, revs and lots and lots of code, I would imagine its sequential as well, what is myth is that it can help them in all eventualities, it can't and it takes time to react and needs human to take over when wrong. Take the Pedrosa incident at Aragon, by time the ECU had checked and checked again if the proximity sensor was there Pedrosa was already flying through the air. Maybe a good example is Asimo, as that is what it was developed for, before it starts any leg movement, lots of checks and calculations take place taking time. Then when something goes outside its expectations cannot correct itself in time and hits the deck, it has to read the incoming info then go to the code for that correction then calculate the difference between where he should be and where he is at then act upon it, bit like reading a repair manual where it says jump to page 7. Asimo only runs the program he needs to do the task in hand. ..

RSMick

February 17, 2014 1:21 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

How long do you think it takes to react? They can pre-empt a problem and attempt to react, but what if the rider reacts in a different way to what the software is told to? A perfect lap should not be hard to write the code for, but step outside that then there is a problem, a perfect lap for one rider will not be for another. Maybe you should go on twitter, follow some riders and people involved and put your points to them. Or maybe study motorcycle software engineering, it is just a more complicated switching a generater on or off if conditions are ok and limiting who uses the power available from the source. The only area that it really affects the championship outcome is by the bikes and riders fuel not running out before the end of the race and the engines lasting, not the riders talent

RSMick

February 17, 2014 2:13 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

Absolutely, and how many people accused him of only winning his championship and following races because of electronics and tyre only to be proved wrong? I still wince at the thought of him going down craner curves in the wet and no burbling from electonics cutting the power, even if they did to stay on adverse camber at that speed was incredible. They have various settings available to them and the off button, they use very little in qualifying, whcih if you want to see the talent is the time to watch. Racecraft is a talent within itself, even if your riding at the same speed settings as the guy in front of you. Ha, another blue page turner could be seen as an unecessary reader/writer aid, as is the direct page target, get rid of it.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 1:50 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

As I see it Codger, like when I raced at the back, I wanted what the next guy had even if I had it would not have made me any faster, as I told my son prove your fast with what you have then you can have the next step. I could go on about the theories of why they do that but I can relate it to an electric motor in that a motor operates at a peak power at certain revs. If I use a variable speed drive (inverter) I can increase the speed above 50/60Hz but lose the efficiency, so could change the gearbox but would then need more KW/HP to run that, I dont always need that power and speed so may limit the current and frequency to control and protect the motor, then I may need a lot of torque so pile on current in controlled manner but limit the frequency, to prevent damage to motor and plant, also the power consumed and unecessary peaks. All in all the more power I have available the faster I can drive it at the times I need to without losing efficiency or torque. I am sure you know that.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 12:00 PM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

Marquez makes lots of mistakes and takes many different lines to correct them and has an amazing ability to do this, he always has not just Motogp. Take the last lap at Silverstone going in to Brooklands he took a lot narrower line that normal and Lorenzo took a wider one, in WSB not a problem, Motogp I would imagine the ECU is looping to find what should happen as something is different, they may not even have parameters for that line, it all takes time to work out and action, more than the time it takes a rider to be launched. Its like McWilliams said when riding for Ilmor, when they told him to keep the throttle open full in the corners, he said "You get on the bike and you keep it open" You like most people believe that software can cure anything, it can't, its just a series of questions and answers, if it doesn't have the answer in the memory then it sits there scratching its head looking.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 10:43 AM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

Cal has learnt his trade, and generally does get spanked by Marquez and Lorenzo, remember what he said last year? He puts Lorenzo's settings in his bike and cannot get near, he uses Lorenzo's lines and cannot get near. One amazing piece of talent that Mr Lorenzo. Cals problems at Ducati are not being caused by lack of electronics. If it isn't in the heart of the rider, no amount of electronics will make up for that.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 10:18 AM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

In my job when programming, we have to look at every possibility of what can go wrong to try and prevent it happening and correcting should there be a problem, I still have to rely on mechanical devices to give the information what is happening, if that fails its a problem. The general opinion when I get to a problem like that is for someone to say write some code to get round it, mine is ****off, its dangerous. My biggest problem when evaluating is one element, mechanical problems I can fortell by planning and commissioning and pure automatic lines are easy, that one element I can never plan for is human intervention, becuase you never know what a human will do.

RSMick

February 17, 2014 9:41 AM

MotoGP » Honda would 'stop' if software is controlled

Like I was telling you last year to no avail the spec ECU will level things out, whether Honda have an inclinometer is debateable, they certainly won't have the gyroscope they had last year, transducers will be limited. Open riders will have I think 3 levels of mapping, with TC either on or off. To me if Honda are using corner specific, which takes a lot of code is quite an achievement in an ECU not made for it. Codger I can see that as I can see why mr Talentfan gets over passionate about it, in my day on RD250/400, it was that, a bit of jetting and moving the forks up and down and a click on the rear each side, jump forward 20 years on a Conti and I am playing with clutch springs, swing arm positions, linkages etc, all mechnical adjustments to aid the rider to go quicker if its right. Times change and I personally do not see why mechnical advances are classed as OK but not electronic. Maybe the worse piece of software engineering was Windows95/NT and its push to computing without kn

« 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  »