Crash.Net User: JJJ

Comments rating: 834
Position in rating: 145

Show Comments on:

JJJ

April 11, 2014 3:11 PM

F1 » Red Bull appeal success ‘would be bad for the sport’

RBR consistently pushes the boundaries of the regulations as we know...To some extent that's what F1 is about, but I dislike it when it spills over in the political side of things. What I don't necessarily get however is why this fuel flow meter is necessary in the first place. If the issue is not using more than 100 litres of fuel surely there are other ways to regulate it. Apparently there is also regulation on how much fuel maybe used per hour, to which I would say...why for F's sake? If a team wants to burn through the most of their fuel in the first part of the race and turn the engine way down towards the end why not let them, if anything it might make for some interesting situations with different strategies being played out. Can't help but feel this FIA micromanagement is going overboard in F1.

JJJ

April 12, 2014 1:35 PM

F1 » New US team awarded FIA Formula 1 licence

Well...as it all comes down to cold hard cash I thought I'd see if I could find Gene's net worth somewhere and it is estimated at 250 million. That won't be enough cause over the first few years he should realistically expect to spend about all of that footing the bill for the running costs of the team, unless he can find some other big investors/sponsors which, looking at the USF1 saga is unlikely to happen. The man is probably smart enough not to spend a sizeable chunk of his fortune on a pipe dream so I expect if the team comes to fruition at all its existence will be shortlived, can't play in the billionaire boys club with a couple hundred mill...But of course as a fan I still like to see them try cause more cars on the grid is better.

JJJ

April 11, 2014 2:47 PM

F1 » Kobayashi: Caterham to take a couple of new parts to China

The bad news for Caterham is that even the complete ****box that Lotus built this year still has more pace than their car (when it runs that is, but then Caterham have also had a few retirements already). The good news is the Lotus and Sauber are so slow this year they may just have a chance to nick a point somewhere, but even then it will still likely be for 10th place at best in the constructor's.

JJJ

April 10, 2014 5:16 PM

F1 » Ericsson losing half a second in weight

Vergne posted a picture on his twitter of a McDonald's in Bahrain accompanied by the text: "Diet is finished...hehehe". In other words I think too much is made from this issue, although I do think that in a sport where the competive areas are controlled so much by the FIA (eg no real engine competition, no multiple tyre manufacturers etc...) it's kind of strange to make driver weight a potential competive benefit at all. In other words some of these drivers may be posturing a bit to lobby for a change but I do agree with them that their weight and size should not be a significant performance determinator when it's so easy for the FIA to make a little change in the regulations so that it doesn't have to be.

JJJ

April 08, 2014 6:29 PM

F1 » Rosberg fastest on day one of test in Bahrain

AyrtonSenna: The fact is the race was still artificial. Safety car made the race slightly exciting. Hamilton was in the distance by some margin. The fact that the mercs are 3s a lap faster than the rest will make for a very boring year of f1.
1988 was pretty good. You for one should know. It's only boring if one team is dominant AND has a clear first and second driver, either by design or talent (or a combination of both). Like someone said before the Shuey Ferrari days (particularly 02 and 04) and the last few years with Vettel/RBR (particularly 11 and 13) must have largely sucked for the casual F1 watcher I'd imagine. If the dominant team has two capable drivers and let's them race, good stuff can happen, especially if both drivers have different strengths and weaknesses.

JJJ

April 09, 2014 8:21 PM

F1 » Bahrain F1 test results - day two: 9 April

It's a strange thing that Marussia...it seemed to run pretty good in Australia (for their standards) but then Malaysia came around and Caterham pummeled them...and so I thought as Malaysia is a bit more representative for the rest of the year that's what the rest of the year would bring. But now the thing shows some pace again. The Sauber on the other hand...yikes. If Lotus hadn't fallen from grace even harder than them we'd all be talking about them as the failure of the year. I'd feel bad for Giedo for changing to a 3rd driver seat at a supposedly faster team that turns out not to be that much faster at all instead of hanging on to his raceseat at the back of the grid, but then of course in the bigger scheme of things he's still a lucky man to have that gig.

JJJ

April 09, 2014 8:05 PM

F1 » Ferrari ends testing early in Bahrain

Taipan: I was actually (...) and quite a surprising answer.
To be fair kinda daft to think that the teams would make two cars immediately in the 1st place...Many shake down their car on the first test or just days before, plus if it would turn out that the car has some major issues and you've built two before testing you're stuck with two miscreants instead of one. I don't think the fact that Kimi ran the race with a damaged chassis shows he can't tell if the car is running well or not. Maybe he did tell the team the car wasn't to his liking but he also has to assume that what the team gives him at the weekend is sound and make the best out of it. Also he can't really judge if the car is losing a few tenths cause of some obscure damage to the chassis as he's only been coupled to FA for 3 races, so it's not like he can say 'hey I'm usually faster than him and now I'm a couple of tenths off so something MUST be wrong with the car'.

JJJ

April 09, 2014 8:44 PM

F1 » Bottas sure Williams hasn’t missed best chance

Taz: Reckon he'll get the better of Massa over the season.
I reckon if he was better he'd already shown it by now, but it's 2:1 Massa in quali and in races so far, although really the two seem reamrkably equally matched. I've said this before about Bottas but I just don't think he has the kind of talent to be among the very best, also based on what I've seen from him when he was paired to Bianchi in F3 (Bianchi had more pace, his problem is making erratic mistakes). I think Bottas can have a good carreer in F1 and if someone gives him a dominant car and a mediocre teammate he can even win races, but IMO, he's not the next great fin 'everyone' makes him out to be. I would have liked to see him try his luck in GP2 or WSBR instead of taking the (understandable) option to sit out a year and take a shortcut to F1 with Williams. To me it shows that he wasn't confident enough to take on GP2 knowing that it would hurt his chances if he'd end up looking mediocre.

JJJ

April 08, 2014 10:05 AM

F1 » Perez sure he has more to come

sprulz: Many Williams fans may disagree but that Force India looks pretty fast, probably the fastest package they've ever put together. It easily outperformed the Ferraris and was able to fend off the McLarens (until Button retired, of course). In my honest opinion, it looks like it's on par with the Williams. Perez can get more podiums to stick in Ron Dennis' face, and Hulkenberg can get some podiums too, and prove how wrong the top teams were.
I think they're pretty close, but apparently Williams has a problem with downforce on the rear of the car. That's the reason they were so slow in the wet at the first two events and maybe the reason they went through tyres faster than the others in Bahrain (although it's kind of a mixed bag, IIRC last year people said RBR ate through tyres cause they had so much downforce so more friction and load on the tyres, but with too little downforce the car slides around and the tyres go off as well...)

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »