Crash.Net User: TalentFan

Comments rating: 4251
Position in rating: 16

Show Comments on:

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 6:22 PM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

@ mrfill I really do hope that you're right. I'm no software guy for sure, but my expectation is that since the Factory Engineers know and have measured and recorded exactly what it is they can achieve with their data solutions, that this will aid them to optimise the spec stuff way better than private teams without anything like the man-hours and resources. But... if you say it can't be done (I wonder how the 'won't be allowed to' can be effectively policed) then again - I really do hope you're right, and that it does have a big effect on closing the performance gulf. I still have concerns about the Factory teams restricting the satellite/private guys through hardware and support though to control the competitiveness of large portions of the grid, while others simply cannot afford to have competitive material. We shall see eh? Thanks though for taking the time to expain it instead of just trying to discredit me through suggesting my concerns are all in my own head like good old

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 2:04 PM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

Brain: Yea, its like herding cats with that guy. You pin him down and boom, he twists and turns, then escapes to another topic. His problem is, we remember what he says, he obviously doesnt.
EDIT by CRASH.NET: Removed name calling. As you say, all my posts are there to be read - Mick tries to discredit through being selective and deliberately misinterpreting, but its all there for anyone to read with an open mind and see what my motivation is. Seeing as Mick can't do it - why don't you try and answer my question about the 2016 electronics and software then? Tell you what - if you can give me a good answer, with evidence and reasoning for your yes/no conclusion, & completely blow me away I'll happily not post a word for at least a month! Hows that for incentive!

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 1:59 PM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

RSMick: 2016 can only help, but you will always have teams with riders that are just that bit more special.
What - thats IT? That's all you can say, that it'll help? So you're skirting this instead of giving a full answer Mick? If it'll help, then HOW MUCH difference do you think it'll make? Where's your reasoning to say it'll help? You saw what I asked for, but have decided not to get off the fence. And I specifically excluded RIDERS from the question - Riders being a bit more special is what is SUPPOSED to make the difference in Sporting racing. I can't help but think that's because you know that nothing will really change when spec software rolls out in 2016. But you cannot actually admit to it, nor can you refute it. Like I said - I'd be happy to see something that proves my skepticism to be misplaced, but no-one has yet. I gave you a golden opportunity to state your case FOR electronics Mick, and you've dodged it.

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 1:52 PM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

RSMick: No your off on a tangent again, changing your tack to just argue and moan, today its electronics, yesterday it was Honda then Dorna. You said and always said that electronics can mask anything, your wrong and changed to suit. You mention the Rossi crash somewhere in the waffle, it wasn't justified, it was rider error. 2016 can only help, but you will always have teams with riders that are just that bit more special. What is strange you find it acceptable for Kawasaki to spend millions and give their riders an advantage and made to look better, but not Honda.
No, I don't. And I have said so. I am not anti-Honda. I am against having a huge performance gulf between entrants in the same race. Riders should have as an equal a chance as possible. Mfrs want to get round that of course, while Dorna should prevent it. In MotoGp & in WSBK. Stop trying to twist what I've said in an attempt to discredit it - you should be a tabloid journalist!

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 12:23 PM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

Change of tack then (since you just dismiss my posts out of hand)... RSMick - you tell me then. Do YOU say that the 2016 rules will do anything significant to level the playing field and performance gulf throughout the MotoGP grid (I'm talking actual machine performance here, not rider)? mrfill hopes yes. I share his hopes but feel sure the answer is no (as you know well, I think the level of electronics & rider aids & need for data analysis and solutions will still mean the Factory Honda's & Yams maintain unassailable leads). It'd be appreciated if you would qualify your answer with your reasons why you select a yes or no response.

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 12:15 PM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

RSMick: No need for all that waffle again, he pushed on cold tyres, that was in the morning practice when they would have been working on set up. He gave too much gas, the tyre spun, gripped and spat him off, it wasn't unique.
It isn't that simple. You're just trying to be dismissive and shrug it off when you know I have a valid observation that it just does not suit your agenda to agree with. What I have said is both logical and reasonable. You always play down the influence of electronic strategy's and solutions, when the simple truth is that they would not be the biggest area of development and investment if they didn't make it possible to go faster by bypassing the human (rider) inputs, which in turn enables them to push the mechanical tangible constraints harder (meaning more on the very edge of crashing, all the time) to gain advantage over rival Mfrs.

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 11:47 AM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

RSMick: The Rossi crash was a good example of how electronic aids cannot react in time, that 10 millisecond of lost grip by pushing too hard too soon. The same as Crutchlow at Silverstone, rider error.
You're saying that you honestly cannot see the likelihood and even the obvious direction for the tyre designers and the chassis guys etc. to want to use the additional regulation and extra-human reactions of electronic systems to be able to push their designs to offer more ultimate performance, by sacrificing the width of the operating window as a trade-off, when they know the electronics can (99% of the time) compensate? Its a natural and obvious progression they would take to be able gain that 10th here and there that can be the difference between winning and 2nd. And if you push things so there's super-high performance but a miniscule margin for error, that means accidents are rare, but when they do happen, they happen fast and they happen BIG. Rossi's bro

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 11:37 AM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

........ I cannot see the field being levelled at all by the 2016 changes in reality. Hence the question to see if others had given this some serious thought, and can find anything tangible that supports the media hype and blind optimism I've seen so far in support of the spec software actually making a real difference to close the gaping performance gulf in the MotoGP field. I honestly don't think for 1 second that 2016 will change anything, and am sorry to say that I fully expect to be able to say "I told you so" by halfway through the 2016 season. I'd actually be very, very happy to be proved wrong. I just don't think I will be. If anyone has anything (that's not just blind belief with nothing to support it) that can provide good reason to be optimistic that the spec ECU/Software direction will even things up in 2016, I'd be genuinely happy to see it, as there's been nothing valid so far IMO.

TalentFan

August 01, 2014 11:29 AM

MotoGP » Red Bull increases Honda backing

mrfill: Talent, It rather depends on what the software processes. You may have masses of data but if the software does not access it, it is worthless. Neither Honda nor Yamaha have raced with standard software. Their race data has been gathered using their bespoke software and whether that will be of any use is the nub of the matter. I certainly hope that the additional data gathered will be worthless and that the 4 factory machines will be reined back a bit.
Thing is Honda & Yamaha HAVE access to the spec ECU and software through their Open Class entrants. So they have plenty of time to work out how to convert their bespoke stuff to the language the spec ECU needs. And esp. Honda have the resources to set aside to crunch the numbers and do the leg work well in time for 2016. I don't want to be all doom & gloom, but I am convinced that the only thing that will need dialling-in will be the michelin tyres, & that won't take long to analyse. I cannot see the

« 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  »