Crash.Net User: Tetley

Comments rating: 2453
Position in rating: 37

Show Comments on:

Tetley

December 03, 2014 1:44 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

shamarone: a greedy tv exec who chooses LESS revenue is a somebody I've never met.
Then you've obviously not met any BBC execs. In UK, if you own a TV you pay a licence fee allowing access to all BBC TV channels (incl BBC and all other radio channels) plus all ITV (Independent TeleVision) channels, and all other channels who broadcast as "Freeview". The licence fee goes wholly to the BBC. None of the others gets any part of the Licence fee and they all rely solely on advertising income. The BBC is not allowed to broadcast adverts and is regarded as a public service broadcaster. Their income from licence fees pays for news, sport, soaps, theatre, documentaries, wildlife, farming specifics etc and weather reports including forecasts specifically for shipping and maritime. NONE bring in any revenue, never mind LESS revenue. Sadly, like many of your compatriots, you do not take into account that circumstances differ in other parts of the world. Wise Up or STFU.

Tetley

December 02, 2014 1:42 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

mrfill: @tetley Sensors just collect data,!
My point exactly ! Fewer sensors would limit the amount of data available to collect, which would generate the benefits which I have mentioned. Also, If kids can hack the Pentagon's computers, then an ECU will be an easy nut to crack and then hide secrets. I'd also query your statement that one team can look at another's data. Surely each team downloads and stores its own collected data on it's own discrete systems which are not networked for other teams to see? K.I.S.S. is my motto for reducing costs and limiting the advantages of big budgets. And limiting the number of sensors would tackle the problem at its root. Like I said - I've they haven't got it they can't use or manipulate it.

Tetley

December 02, 2014 12:38 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

mrfill:
Tetley: I have suggested several times that a limit should be placed on the number of electronic sensors allowed. This would limit what the teams can ask the ECU to do, and will go toward levelling the rich teams with the poorer ones.
The number of 'sensors' doesn't matter. Tuning nowadays is more geek based than oily rags.
Your points seem to contradict each other. Fewer sensors equals fewer parameters equals less scope for electronic advantage. If they haven't got it no amount of money can manipulate it. Fewer sensors would limit the cost and advantage of employing more geeks than less wealthy teams. Fewer sensors would limit the opportunities for hacking the std ECU or installing secret enhancements. There are clever geeks who are capable of cheating this way. The number of sensors is easier to police than electronic invisibles. Fewer sensors would be a move toward what all enthusiasts want - a return to riding skills.

Tetley

December 03, 2014 1:03 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

RSMick:
Tetley: The part which worries me is that Dorna also owns WSBK, so it is entirely possible that Superbikes will follow MotoGP into pay-per-view, losing thousands, if not millions of viewers, leading into terminal decline of the sport.
It is already on Pay TV
Not in all markets. Here in UK, Eurosport comes as part of my Sky package and the cost is the same whether I view WSBK or not. But your comment worries me as it sounds like the rot has already set in.

Tetley

December 03, 2014 12:36 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

Somersetlemon: Well I will not pay to watch sport on TV under any circumstances. I have seen no Moto GP this year, but have watched a lot of WSBK on Eurosport, and also BSB.

Tetley

December 03, 2014 2:35 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

I am in the UK, if you don't get it on Freeview, Freesat or the internet you are paying for it, you pay for it as part of your Sky package, .
Er- I already said that. Thanks for agreeing. However, Mrs Tbaggs prefers what Sky offers to what BT Sport offers and we don't want to pay for both,
if Eurosport wasn't on there it would be slightly cheaper.
I'd like the option of reducing cost by deleting all except my Sky favourites from my Sky package but I'm looking at facts, not "if's".
Its like saying that GP's are free to BT internet users.
But my Sky package gives more of what me and Mrs Tbaggs likes, while bike racing is all we would want from BT Sport's portfolio.
so the only way to watch was pay by TV or on the Eurosport web-site
We liked the Eurosport TV coverage provided by Sky. We’d rather watch on a decent TV than huddle around a small laptop. Let’s agree to differ.

Tetley

December 03, 2014 12:55 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

shamarone: anybody who's in sales or who's business works off of referrals knows the best advertising is WORD OF MOUTH.
The problem with sweeping , all-encompassing statements like that is that they are true, but also not true. True, the best advertising is "word of mouth". NOT true to say "anybody who's in Sales or Marketing " as this would include Dorna and every other company in the pay-to-view chain, and they do NOT seem to be aware of the importance of word of mouth. In my view all the participant companies between Dorna and us enthusiasts signed up on the promise of huge audiences which have not been achieved, and will be looking for a better use of their advertising budget when their current contracts expire.

Tetley

December 02, 2014 2:22 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

Suppo says “I've never had - potential sponsors who've said, 'ahhh no, because there is no free TV coverage'.” That’s because the current Sponsors were recruited pre-season with the promise of huge viewing figures. Those figures have not been achieved and Sponsors will now be looking for wider exposure elsewhere, which places doubt on whether they will renew when contracts expire. Less sponsorship for the teams means Dorna have to increase their financial support to the teams by the same amount as Sponsors cash lost. These diminishing returns will eventually make pay-to-view uneconomical for Dorna, UNLESS they seriously reduce subscription costs to attract more viewers. The price for pay-to-view will have to plummet dramatically before I subscribe. They have all forgotten that the spectator is any sport’s major asset. And fewer spectators means less income for organisers and participants

Tetley

December 02, 2014 5:17 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

mrfill:
Tetley: I'd also query your statement that one team can look at another's data.
I think you missed the point. You can have all the data in the world but its only useful if you can use it. If the program does not process your data, it won't help.
NO, they cannot look at each others data, and you concede this later in your post.
An ECU is just a box of components. You can't 'hide' anything. Its sealed. The ECU is not networked so cannot be hacked.
And you are missing my point. I am aware of the rules about ECU's. I am not referring to one team hacking into another teams ECU. I am saying it is possible for a team to hide their secrets by hacking their OWN ECU’s and secretly using their own software enhancements. You are just stating the rules. I am saying that some teams have the ability to secretly bypass the rules. But they can’t process data which they are prevented from harvesting by fewer sensors

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »