Crash.Net User: JeffS86

Comments rating: 71
Position in rating: 1119

Show Comments on:

JeffS86

March 29, 2013 7:27 PM

F1 » Ecclestone: Vettel correct to ignore team orders

I think, having had the opportunity to think about it for a while, what bothers me the most is not that Vettel overtook Webber, or even that he ignored team orders, but the management of the situation from the team. I certainly don't think we will get the opportunity to see the telemetry to know without a doubt which engine setting each car was on (my guess would be that Webber had turned his down) but Webbers engineer should have alerted him that Vettel was coming, and the gap was closing down (maybe he did, I don't know - but based on the history at RBR between these two, if I were webber and knew Vettel was coming, I'd have turned my engine back up to make sure he couldn't close the gap so easily).

JeffS86

October 21, 2012 5:35 PM

F1 » Vettel 'loves' India, going for fourth win on trot

107SS2009 I'm not sure the RBR or Ferrari point differentials between team mates is necessarily a fair comparison to what goes on at McLaren. Alonso is clearly the number 1 at Ferrari, and there have certainly been times where Mark has been told to "Maintain the gap (Silverstone if I'm remembering correctly) to Vettel." Regardless of what people say with regard to Jenson having the best car for the first half of 2009, or Lewis getting past Glock at the last corner in 2008, the McLaren line up has been the only one on the grid the last several years featuring 2 different WDCs. That said, it will be interesting to see how Hamilton can fare against Rosberg in what is likely to be a mid-pack Mercedes (unless Brawn and the team at Brackley have some secrets up their sleeves).

JeffS86

September 06, 2012 5:41 PM

F1 » Hamilton to Mercedes rumours denied

Personally I'd like to see Hamilton back in the McLaren for next year. It might be hard to stomach taking a pay cut...but McLaren usually field one of the top cars on the grid. What's the better option? Having a larger salary and being able to keep any trophies that you win, or taking a pay cut to remain on the team that consistently field a car which is actually capable of winning? Mercedes haven't proved that they are capable of doing so yet.

JeffS86

April 24, 2012 1:22 AM

F1 » Schumacher, Pirelli fall out over tyre wear

I don't like the idea of one set of tires to last for the entire race distance. I don't have a problem with tires degrading over the course of a stint (within reason). Should a driver be able to push flat out for 30 laps on a set of the option tires? In my opinion - no. Tire management and strategy are a part of racing, but shouldn't be so drastically limiting to the car's performance. Tires shouldn't be useless after 5 laps. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot I think. For me, pit stops brings in a team element to the race itself beyond setting up the car. I know its wishful thinking on my part, but I wonder if the current spec of tire (or perhaps a slightly more durable version) with the return of refueling would solve the problem. At least it would provide some flexibility to the teams.

JeffS86

April 23, 2012 6:51 PM

F1 » Schumacher, Pirelli fall out over tyre wear

I'm with richard on this one. I don't think it is that Pirelli is inept or incapable of making a tire that would last the way the Bridgestone tires did. The fact is that when they came into the sport they were asked to make a tire with a gap between compounds and increased degradation. If I'm not mistaken the idea came to the FIA after the 2010 Canadian GP which saw high levels of degradation on the Bridgestones and had drivers making 3+ stops.

JeffS86

April 23, 2012 7:34 AM

F1 » Hamilton fumes at pit stop failures

50 Cent- I agree completely that what happened to Schumacher was a worse result. If you haven't got it right in the pit lane, keep the car there until you do even if it does mean a slow stop. It is better to lose a few seconds than have to retire the car (or run the risk of something worse happening). It just can't be repeated frequently if you're a team capable of challenging for the championship. With McLaren's slow stops at the last two race weekends, and then two more slow stops today I imagine that there was a group of reporters around him asking him how he felt about the situation. I suppose he could have given an answer something along the lines of "The guys work really hard and normally give Jenson and I great stops, and I'm sure it wont be an issue going forward." That may well have gone a ways in boosting the team. Personally, I'd rather they acknowledge that its an area where they can improve.

JeffS86

April 23, 2012 5:18 AM

F1 » Hamilton fumes at pit stop failures

107, I went back and re-read your post, and I see what you're saying. Where did you see that he was replaced after the first stop though? The info I've seen says that the same wheel gun man was involved in both of Hamilton's slow stops. Unless i'm reading the articles wrong and they're referring to the first slow stop today along with the slow stop in Malaysia.

JeffS86

April 23, 2012 12:21 AM

F1 » Hamilton fumes at pit stop failures

Hamilton didn't put anyone on blast, and in fact said that he would go and speak with the guy who was operating wheelgun to try to lift him up. The reality is that McLaren do need to examine their pitstop procedures, as they've now had problems in Malaysia (Hamilton), China (Button), and again in Bahrain (Hamilton). Edit: As a further note, McLaren have said that the same wheelgun man was involved in both of Hamilton's pit stop problems and was relieved of his duties during the race because he was distraught over it. To me that sounds like someone who is gutted about what happened and doing something that hurt his team rather than someone who is pleased with the way things turned out.

1 2 3 4 5 6  »