Crash.Net User: 1Jez

Comments rating: 757
Position in rating: 178

Show Comments on:

1Jez

March 28, 2014 6:13 AM

F1 » Kate Walker: The sound of a conspiracy

What a strange, strange theory. My observation, having attended FP1 and FP2 in Melbourne, was that the TV coverage sounded BETTER than trackside. Yes, the cars sound more 'throaty' in reality, but the turbo whistle (the cool bit) is more pronounced on the TV. They sound kind of weird, new and somewhat interesting on TV - but they're just plain disappointing in reality. The conspiracy theorists have it backwards in my view.

1Jez

March 22, 2014 3:17 PM

F1 » Red Bull appeal date set

The way I see it, there are two issues to be argued. 1- the regulations state a maximum permissible fuel flow, and 2- the stewards issued a directive to use not more than the maximum permissible fuel flow. If RBR can prove they followed the regulations, it kind of renders the stewards directions at best moot and at worst unlawful. Provided RBR can demonstrate they did not exceed the fuel flow limit, how could the court of appeal punish a team for both observing the fuel flow limit and ignoring an instruction to observe the fuel flow limit? I don't just hope RBR succeed with their appeal - I would put money on it being successful (just not a lot :)).

1Jez

March 22, 2014 3:10 PM

F1 » Red Bull appeal date set

Sunny - I doubt that very, very much. Firstly, the FIA's fuel flow sensor has been nothing but problematic from the get-go. Secondly, I would eat my hat if every engine manufacturer/team did not have multiple other readings being provided by multiple other devices in the fuel delivery system. Everything from meterage of fuel pumps, to oxygen sensors, to inlet manifold sensors, to injectors and myriad other things that you or I have no idea of. All of that data will no doubt be fed in to a highly accurate analysis model with a provable algorithm and hard and fast numbers.

1Jez

March 18, 2014 2:08 PM

F1 » Ecclestone warns quieter F1 could be costly

I was as Albert Park on Friday, so I'm writing this first hand. The sound on the TV is quite different (i.e. better) to that at the track. The turbo whistle is far less audible on the Merc and Renault engines in real life and the volume drop is HUGE. To put this into perspective, the Carrera Cup 911 GT3 cars are now louder. I'm not embellishing to make a point - the GT3 is most definitely a louder car than a 2014 F1 car. Don't bother with ear plugs for F1 any more. At one point, I was standing by the straight about opposite the pit exit. In the V8 era, you could hear the cars from any point on the track (hell, you could hear them 2 or 3 blocks away from the track!) but now, I couldn't hear a car exit the final turn and accelerate along the straight until just before it passed me. It's just... disappointing. The Ferrari engines sound pretty good (the Marussias actually sound the best), but something very significant in F1 has been lost and I don't think the FIA really appreciate this

1Jez

March 18, 2014 2:27 PM

F1 » Ecclestone warns quieter F1 could be costly

Don't get me wrong, the race on Sunday was great. The racing is close, the fuel thing isn't as much an issue as I thought it would be and the strategy calls are interesting without being confusing. This season should be fascinating. BUT... the TV coverage is quite different to how the cars sound live. I was really quite surprised when I turned the TV on on Saturday to watch FP3. On the TV, the turbo sound is quite pronounced on all the cars. In reality, you can hear a turbo whistle out of an accelerating Merc and Renault, though not as clearly as on TV. There's virtually no turbo sound off-throttle. The Ferrari engines sound much the same on throttle, but there is a very cool 'hiss' off throttle. It sounds like a blow off valve, but an extended vent rather than in a single puff. On the plus side, the 'growl' is throatier and cooler in reality.

1Jez

March 04, 2014 5:48 AM

F1 » The next test is for the sport

I think the reliability issues will be sorted out fairly rapidly. My concern for the quality of racing is not the engines, but the fuel restrictions. We've seen fuel saving measures in F1 for quite some time, however this has been dictated by teams trying to find the fastest way to the chequred flag (due to weight penalty versus additional fuel for full throttle, etc). This is saving fuel to win a race, or, rather counter intuitively, saving fuel to go faster. The new regulations require fuel saving for the sake of saving fuel. I'm concerned that we will constantly see drivers drop five or 10 seconds off the pace just to finish the race while other drivers breeze past because they're on a different fuel saving strategy. Race strategy has always been a part of this sport, but it should not be so strategic that it more closely resembles chess at the expense of good open wheel racing. Fortunately, if it is all a great big disaster, the fuel regulations can be changed independently of th

1Jez

March 04, 2014 12:37 PM

F1 » The next test is for the sport

@Yes and Seakay - I'll be at Albert Park for the Friday, so I promise to provide an unfiltered, honest, not-approved-by-Bernie report on how they sound at their peak. Quali will be the real test, but I'm hoping we'll get an indication in FP2. I must say, however, that it's more than a little disappointing to not have any high quality footage from testing that is readily available. The crappy footage I have seen/heard so far (from Jerez) was... uninspiring.

1Jez

March 03, 2014 3:14 AM

F1 » Second Bahrain F1 test – Combined results

Remember Lotus talking up a claim that they could be the lead Renault team? Ha! They did the least number of laps of any team and, more importantly, were the slowest of any team. For crying out loud, Lotus' quickest lap was more than 1.2s behind Caterham's quickest and a whopping great 3.6s behind Torro Rosso. At this stage I think STR is the lead Renault team! Forget lead Renault team - at this point Lotus is bringing up the rear. Even Caterham is performing better.

1Jez

February 25, 2014 12:58 PM

F1 » Susie Wolff to get two FP1 runs with Williams F1

Taipan: Yuji Ide in 2006. (I think)
Lol. Well done Ty, but how did that end? From Wikipedia: "In the November 2009 issue of F1 Racing Magazine, Yuji was named as one of the five worst F1 drivers in history." This is kind of my point. She wont make a race drive at this late stage and perhaps she shouldn't based on her performance to date. However, I do hope she does well in her FP1 runs as I think it is important for female drivers for the reasons previously stated.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »