Crash.Net User: mrfill

Comments rating: 4052
Position in rating: 21

Show Comments on:

mrfill

December 02, 2014 11:49 AM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

VKal: Comments about manufacturer having more resources/money to throw at software development: I think it's not just money. Software engineers don't just pluck parameters from the sky. The historical data is where the money is for the software eng to build their code plus don't forget real time data which includes machine data and riders input plus the craftsman (builder/mechanic). Honda and Yamaha has been in the game longer than anyone plus they have the best pilots at the moment.
Software engineers design software. Data engineers design maps - which are a collection of parameters.. All the data in the world will not help if you can't use it and the whole point of the revisions is to limit the amount of 'adjustments' the ECU makes to a standard level. The new software will be developed by ALL teams and any changes will be universal. Any Honda parameter used to adjust something special on a Honda will be useless as there will not be the code to support i

mrfill

December 02, 2014 4:24 AM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

The proposed new rules put everyone on equal terms with electronic stuff. If one team gets the best data engineer, they have an advantage in the same way as if they get the best rider. In olden days it would have been who could get the best carb tuner or ignition tuner but now we have fuel injection and no points. The big (rich) teams will have an advantage - they always will in any motorsport - by attracting the best people and having the big budgets to keep them. That is normal. The current software advantage (worth a lot) is being reduced to zero as everyone will use the same. A smaller team with a decent bike, clever data man and a decent rider will now have a chance of winning, whereas at the moment its a no-go.

mrfill

December 02, 2014 4:02 AM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

Tetley: I have suggested several times that a limit should be placed on the number of electronic sensors allowed. This would limit what the teams can ask the ECU to do, and will go toward levelling the rich teams with the poorer ones.
The number of 'sensors' doesn't matter. With standard software only the proscribed items can be accessed and it is the same for all. How you decide how much to adjust each item is the skill (like in ye olde times when tuning carbs). Tuning nowadays is more geek based than oily rags. Even Honda C90s (post 1982) have electronic ignition, so its not all high tech glamour...

mrfill

December 02, 2014 12:51 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

Both F1 and motoGP are trying to emulate the football model which has been a cash cow for many year. What they seem to miss is that there are only 19 or 20 races a season, whereas there are 10 Premier League games every week and then the Fa Cup, the lidl trophy, the doodah cup and so on. You can watch top stream football games most days live (if you can bear it) which means subscribers get a lot for their money - hundreds of games each season. More than 20 for sure.

mrfill

December 01, 2014 12:55 PM

F1 » Rossi and Hamilton at Monza Rally

FatAlfie:
mrfill: "Mr Hamilton, let me introduce you to a *real* motor sport legend..."
I don't think LH has ever claimed to be a legend, so your comment confuses me.
No-one said he claimed the title himself but Prince Harry told him he was a legend at Interlagos and the Telegraph on the 23rd November had a headline proclaiming "Lewis Hamilton has earned the right to be called a legend after winning a second F1 title" Valentino Rossi has 9 (nine) world championships.

mrfill

December 02, 2014 12:33 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

Widegrip: Can I just say, it's not free in the UK we pay a license fee of around £150 per year and I also pay a sky subscription. If they had sold it to sky I wouldn't have so much of an issue but I refuse to pay Sky, BT and the license especially as I wouldn't watch any of the other sports on BT. And as for people quoting American TV as a standard, I have to say it's the worst TV I have ever seen and personally I would keep quiet if my countries TV was that Poor ( I have moderated my language substantially here).
Well I have a TV licence (which I consider excellent value because of the radio it provides) and don't have Sky. I do not pay an extra penny to watch and do so totally legally - no dodgy streams. I can get it on my TV, phone, tablet and get replays in HD.I have a 75Mb line and have not changed ISP for 8 years. Waste your money on the Sky rubbish if you like but don't make it sound like an essential. Some of us do get full coverage and pay no extra.

mrfill

December 02, 2014 1:02 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

TF2: If Sport is just like Life and unfair, what is the point in watching a contest where the result is pre-determined by unfair advantage
So what is a fair advantage? A team of 7ft tall basketball players against a team of under 5 footers - is that fair? An unfair advantage is gained by having different classes and rules within the same category. From 2016 there will be one set of rules for all. If team X has £100m to spend and team Y have £20m, is that fair? Should team X give team Y £40m to balance things out in order to make it fairer? Some teams will always be richer than others and that is an advantage, always has been, always will be.

mrfill

December 02, 2014 12:25 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP pay TV 'something we must face'

DB8:
RSMick: BBC isn't free and neither is Eurosport. €105 I have paid for multi-screen next year on motogp.com and you get a lot more than just the races, all off season is included as well.
Same as me, and I'm happy to pay, but how are you going to attract new fans, if they dont have easier access to the sport? Do you expect people to pay before they have ever watched a race?
All I see on the site is an offer of 34.95€ for multiscreen up to March 2015. There is no offer of a years subscription. Am I looking in the wrong place?

mrfill

December 02, 2014 4:11 AM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

TF2: @ mrfill I'm a bit sketchy on this 'software' thing. Looked at simply, then the potential in the software (in what it can do) is the same for all. But (and this is the BIG but)... the ability and power of the software and the ECU means that those who can throw enough resources at the actual codes and strategies to MAKE USE of the facilities provided by optimising the software to their bike & rider... still will have a decent advantage, yes? I am still of the opinion that there is far too much power and scope for data and therefore data-solutions and use of electronic strategies for there to be any chance of genuine competition for the riders into 2016. Simply put, electronics provide a way to enhance the rider performance beyond that which the rider could consistently achieve unaided. And those who can afford to spend the most resources on the 'enhancements' get to keep on winning, simply through being able to buy advantage others cannot afford.
T

mrfill

December 01, 2014 2:42 PM

MotoGP » MotoGP ‘not far’ from 2016 agreement

LaughingGas: Having a standard ECU isn't going to help anyone. One more suggestion Crash supplying the names and addresses of anyone that doesn't agree you so you so you can pay them a visit and sacrifice their first born.
There has been a standard ECU for ages. What there has not been is standard software. This is coming for 2016. Any team may submit changes to the software and any changes are passed to ALL teams. i.e. the software is open and there can be no secrets. A level playing field in other words (and about time...) There will be no classes - one set of rules for all. So long as the engine makers cannot dictate which maps can be used, it will reduce considerably the advantage the factory Hondas and Yamahas have and will increase the need for rider skill to win. Is that such a bad thing? A standard ECU is vital, as is standard software.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »