Crash.Net User: DafyddLarcombe

Comments rating: 524
Position in rating: 235

Show Comments on:

DafyddLarcombe

January 27, 2014 12:46 PM

WRC » Tidemand wins Rally Sweden 'warm-up' event

Wow ! Pontus was just over a second per kilometre faster than Mads albeit he was on the narrower type of tyre currently not permitted on a WRC Rally and I would put Mads as one of the favorites to win in Sweeden. Maybe I should Re-evaluate my prediction of the Top 12 for Sweeden lol This Guy could be another Mats Johnsson and give the works boys a hard time on his home event, although Pontus is now The 2013 Junior Champion so he should get a lot further in the Sport than Mats Johnsson did. I hope like Evans and Meeke this guy is also given chance to prove what he is capable of in a WRC Car. He was 4th at theend of day 1 last year before issues with the car.

DafyddLarcombe

January 28, 2014 10:24 AM

WRC » Ostberg second on Mountain Rally

Latvala could be the dark horse here actually. I have a feeling that Latvala secretly fancies this as a Rally that he will win. But keep an eye on Tidemand, he is a possible Top 5, maybe even Top 3, he is a young snow specialist so he wont be slow, I don't think he will be fighting for the Lead, but I think he will be right up there, especially on the first day up North where road position will be more important.

DafyddLarcombe

January 27, 2014 12:59 PM

WRC » Ostberg second on Mountain Rally

I don't even think using the WRC wider tyre was Mads decision to make here, Citroen wanted to get the info and invested in heavily in entering Mads in the Mountain Rally so this was simply Pre Sweden preparation and the best kind. In all fairness to Pontus he was just getting used to his new WRC Fiesta again and needed to impress the eyes upon him. By winning the Rally and beating mads on every single stage this made the kind of statement to Team Bosses that Pontus needed. Now all he has to do is get a Top 5 Result overall on the Rally to concrete himself in the Team Bosses thoughts, or maybe run in the Top 3 if yet again the car lets him down. I think we will see a lot more from this youngster in the future though, especially as he is Henning Solbergs step son

DafyddLarcombe

January 29, 2014 4:07 PM

WRC » Prodrive commemorates 30 years of success

In all honesty David Richards went way down in my estimations at the end of Rally Catalunya back in1995 when he wanted Carlos to win Rally Spain in the hope that the Spaniard would stay with the Team for 1996. But all that happened is a certain Frustrated Colin McRae had to accept 2nd place or be fired and had to go to the R.A.C Rally level on points with Carlos where he duly treated the Spaniard a lesson in the Art of Sweet Revenge. Carlos was so frustrated at the end of the Rally that he vowed never to Return and signed with Ford for 1996 taking his personal sponsor Repsol with him as the new Teams Primary Backer. But up until then Colin and Prodrive seemed to be unstoppable and had some really good times in both the WRC and the BRC with the Good old Legacy RS.

DafyddLarcombe

January 29, 2014 3:57 PM

WRC » Prodrive commemorates 30 years of success

That wasn't really the Manufacturers fault, Prodrive had a Deal in that Mini would cough up the Dosh for all the development of the car and Prodrive would find a Sponsor to cover the cost of Running the cars in the WRC. Well Mini did their bit and sadly for Prodrive No Sponsor was found so the programme kind of ground to a halt. Prodrive were quite clever though and they hold the rights to the design and Homologation so no one else can claim the Mini as theirs but Prodrive. Its a bit of a Stalemate. I would suggest that other Manufacturers have noted this for future reference.

DafyddLarcombe

January 29, 2014 10:03 AM

WRC » Tidemand wins Rally Sweden 'warm-up' event

Couple of good points there ChrisHx But then again it is Evans who has a Full time drive and not Tidemand. Sweden is fairly unique, look back at Thomas Radstrom, a contender in Sweden but no where else, same with Mats Johnsson really, I think last years performance was no fluke though, I think he will go well as he has the experience on Snow, but like his past Fellow Swedes I don't think he will be that quick everywhere else. I think he could be as high up as 3rd at some point but the question is can he maintain that to the finish, there are no shortage of drivers who believe in their heart that the Top step is theirs for the taking, and 6 doesn't go into 1 very easily so it will be tough to get on the podium in Sweden for sure. P.S. I think 2011 was the 1st year of the new WRC Cars from memory.

DafyddLarcombe

January 24, 2014 1:19 PM

WRC » Meeke: Result could have been better

Very sensible Approach from Meeke on Monte, I do think we will see him more sensible in his approach on the next few events, 3rd on his 1st Rally with a Full season and driving with a cool head shows what he is capable of, maybe with this approach he will get a Top 5 in Sweeden and Portugal too, for sure he is less likely to go off if he is not Pushing 110% Mads should be able to push for the win in Sweeden, Im not sure Mikko will bring is A Game and Latvala should be a big threat for Mads. I think Ogier will probably either get stuck in a snow bank somewhere or he will win I think Meeke will be swapping times with Neuville Hirvonnen and Haninnen in or around 5th place overall. If all the Works cars were to finish I think it would look like this : 1.Ogier 2.Latvala 3.Ostberg 4.Hirvonnen 5.Meeke 6.Mikklesen 7.Hirvonnen 8.Tanak 9.Haninnen 10.Kubica 11.Tidemand 12.Prokop or Henning

DafyddLarcombe

January 24, 2014 10:46 AM

WRC » Strong sixth on Rallye Monte Carlo

cont : I would even predict that a podium place could be possible before the end of the year, but this year is a Development year and a very Steep Learning Curve for Elfyn so he is under no pressure from Malcolm to get specific results, there is no Major Team Sponsor at the moment so Malcolm had the Luxury of deciding who he wanted to drive his cars without any outside influence what so ever and his intelligent plan was to use this year to give Elfyn a massive opportunity and develop him through 2014 I would imagine that Elfyn will be able to regularly fight for Podiums in 2015 and that is the Job of any good number 2 driver along with consistency and continuity. I just Hope Mikko can find his feet and Rise to the challenge of being Lead Driver for the Team and to start pushing for the wins and getting regular Podiums like he always seemed to do with Ease whilst at the same time taking Elfyn under his wing and helping with his development like Marcus did with him in 2006 & 2007

DafyddLarcombe

January 24, 2014 10:36 AM

WRC » Strong sixth on Rallye Monte Carlo

for KrisHx I know what you are thinking and Malcolm only had the best interests for his son matt in mind at the time, with any driver it is important to gain as much knowledge as possible and finishing Rallies and getting competitive mileage is crutial to the drivers Development. I have no doubt that Elfyn has the speed to fight for Top 5 positions right now and he will slowly let his speed build with every event. I don't think the plan is to cruise around for 5 years getting top 6 and top 7 results then suddenly being let off the leash, I think he can push as hard as he is comfortable doing without stepping over the line, this line will keep moving until he can eventually win Rallies without stepping over that line Don't forget just over 2 years ago Elfyn was still doing British Championship Rallies in a Fiesta R2 car and now he is Team mate to Mikko Hirvonnen in the M-Sport 1st Team. He has obviously impressed Malcolm hugely and I think he will Reward Malcolm in no time at all, I w

« 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  »