Crash.Net User: Buzz45

Comments rating: 155
Position in rating: 564

Show Comments on:

Buzz45

February 25, 2014 11:58 PM

F1 » Smedley move to Williams confirmed

Taipan: Buzz, How long did it take Boullier to switch from Lotus to McLaren, about a day and a half. I would have thought Williams would have wanted key personnel in place as soon as possible not wait until the first race weekend of the championship and with all the talk of Rob leaving Ferrari months ago I thought this appointment would have been announced sooner, hence strange.
You honestly think they did a deal in that short a time? I bet it was started way back when Boullier realised he had better bale out from Lotus.

Buzz45

February 25, 2014 8:16 PM

F1 » Smedley move to Williams confirmed

Taipan: There was a lot of talk of Rob following Felipe after Felipe's move had been confirmed but then it all went quiet and looked to be off. Strange that it's taken until 2 weeks before the season starts for the switch to happen, I wonder what caused the delay?
Why strange? Contracts have to drawn up etc.. Why should their business be revealed until they are sure everything is 100% correct. Anyway, good luck to them both, they are great characters !

Buzz45

February 22, 2014 8:55 PM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

Taipan: I remember my dad talking about running in oil, it was a different viscosity to protect the engine in the first few thousand miles from what I remember. He also talked about new cars having signs on the back of them saying "running in please overtake" because you had to limit the engines to 2000rpm or something silly back in the day.
I remember the running in signs. Just can't remember running in oil, maybe I've just forgotten it. We used to tell customers to make sure the engine didn't labour, let it run freely but not too many revs. Any sign of tightening up, ease off and let the engine cool a bit. Remember Redex, Duckhams Q20/50, Castrol XXL, STP, Wynnes Friction Proofing, Molyslip etc., oh, and Castrol R ?

Buzz45

February 22, 2014 8:04 AM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

camps: To break the car means to "break in the car". In order to do that, you put the car under real stress to see if all is well. If all is not well, then you will get these little issues, As an ex motor mechanic I would say that to break in a car is the same as running in. I.E. driving it gently at lowish revs and not letting the engine labour until a reasonable mileage, say 500 miles has been reached. Then the engine is gradually worked harder until about 1000 miles when it should be fully run in or broken in. Trying to break a car is a totally different thing altogether which is what Lulu was trying to do by putting the car under as much load and stress as possible to see if anything breaks. Think of breaking in a horse, it is a gradual and gentle process, not a severe whipping from the outset.

Buzz45

February 23, 2014 7:08 AM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

walrus909: Okay guys, I thought we were going to argue about running in /breaking in new F1 engine(power units). Then everybody wants' to remember their beloved road cars. Me too. The issue still at hand is do the the F1 engine suppliers break in / run in the fresh engines. I maintain yes because practice is limited. You install the 'power unit'. stomp on it like it has 50K on it. again some one might say rules say naught.
Hi Walrus, Surely they are run in by the manufacturers, as I said before. Then released to be used flat out practically straight away

Buzz45

February 22, 2014 8:04 PM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

richard: buzz. I don't know where you are from, but I have never heard of "breaking in" an engine. I have certainly heard of "running in", and most major car manufacturers now on this on their top end cars. the normal person in their normal new car, do this themselves, even though nowadays it is not necessary due to imploved lubrication. (remember the time of running-in oils?) now....I HAVE hard of breaking in a horse.....
Hi Richard, I'm from the UK, where are you from? Haven't heard of running in oil but I have heard of cutting oil which is used in machining. Yes, top end cars are ready to go and most modern cars are totally different from when I was a mechanic in the 1960s. I think things have changed a little bit (!) since then, and that includes phrases and terms used in the world of motoring and motor sport. We did use the term "breaking in" or "running in" in those good old days.

Buzz45

February 23, 2014 12:00 AM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

Taipan: Richard does your mk2 have the Dunlop Disk Brakes sign on the back? I'm sure that was the first car to use that sign. Buzz, I used to love working on A series engines, all sorts of improvements could be made to it on a shoestring budget, great fun. I believe Richard used to race Minis running Amal carbs, somewhat more advanced than my Minis!
Yes, the A series were great little motors, better than the B series for tuning. Amal carbs on a Mini, must have been difficult to balance. Would it have been 4 of them I wonder. I had one on a BSA C11 250 ! Going to bed now G'nite all.

Buzz45

February 22, 2014 9:27 PM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

richard: buzz. your post arrived after I composed mine. duckhams only arrived mid 60s and is still available. gtx at same time. molyslip I got in Austria about ix months ago. as for R...one of the nicest smells on the planet...pure power. used it in a morgan three wheeler up to about 4 years ago. yes, I still had some orignal supplies!
Forgotten the flushing oil, recall it now though. I had a Mk111 Sprite and that was a dream. Very nippy and really good on fuel too. Later had an MGB GT, that was nice too. Best car I had for fun was a Morris 1000 which I did a huge amount of work on, engine and suspension. It was wonderful ! The engine was probably more powerful than the Sprite I had as it had a lightened flywheel plus hot cam, reworked head and twin S.Us etc, etc.. As I said, those were the days!

Buzz45

February 22, 2014 5:37 PM

F1 » Hamilton ‘trying to break the car as much as possible’

walrus909: My guess is the engines are run in on dynos before there installed, saving precious testing laps to 'break' other components. Unless the **** eyed rules prevent that too.
I would certainly think the engines are run in and tested for power etc at the manufacturers before releasing to the teams ready to race.. There's no way an engine manufacturer would want to release an underpowered engine, sorry, power unit, or whatever, What we were discussing though is the difference between "breaking in" and "breaking". Have fun!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »