Crash.Net User: Vincero

Comments rating: -3
Position in rating: 5941

Show Comments on:

Vincero

September 08, 2014 11:28 AM

F1 » Button revels in ‘amazing’ Perez battle

whitew: No punishment for Button for forcing Perez off. Ah Warwick must have missed this one.
I would agree with you, however, looking at K.Mag vs Bottas at the time and in replays, I would stake money that he actually let the brakes off a little to keep the momentum in to the corner regardless of how well he'd take it and essentially make it Bottas' problem when they both arrive. Button's move was not the cleverest, but at least as the move was becoming obviously flawed, he left plenty of room for Perez to cut back in to the racing line and avoid any potential spin / accident, and there wasn't any massive calls about missing the chicane.

Vincero

September 08, 2014 11:44 AM

F1 » Magnussen admits to penalty frustration

whitew: Do you actually watch the racs. Magnussen is embarrassing his team mate race after race, then the stewards penalize him. In the old days drivers used to race.
Magnussen was pretty much holding up that group 4-5 cars through the race including Button (although not sure Button's car had the pace to actually pass and break away). Can't believe the McLaren is so slow down the straights compared to the other Merc powered cars. God knows what would happen if they had a different engine. I do think the penalty was harsh, BUT as it was actually happening and during the replays I would put money on Magnussen actually seeing Bottas coming past and either letting the brakes off a bit or leaving it until the last possible moment to just about make the corner. You're right, In the old days it would have been different, no doubt ending in an accident, especially at a street circuit or one with close barriers.

Vincero

August 14, 2014 12:54 PM

MotoGP » British MotoGP to Circuit of Wales!

Welshie: Agreed, I am from South West Wales and when I've competed in motorsport other drivers are happy for me to travel 10 hours to a track like Cadwell (worth it) but would never come to race at Pembrey citing it as 'too far'
Actually I don't have a prob with the idea of a Wales location, especially as the M4/M5 provide access and geography could potentially provide a Laguna-esque track with good gradient changes, etc. - my issue is with committing to project which isn't and may not be completed could cost Dorna, and fans more in the long run. Spain have 3 GPs and if it backfires UK could have 0.

Vincero

August 05, 2014 6:16 PM

F1 » Grosjean: You just have to accept it is tough

Will they even have Renault engines until the end of the season?? I know there was mumbling from Renault about not getting good payment from certain teams (no names given) - I know they signed a deal to have Renault engines for some time during pre-season testing - maybe they have a performance related clause to break out of that. If that's so then perhaps they may not have to pay their way out of that contract, but yes, they'll have to dig deep to find the money. Now if only they can stop Pastor crashing or picking up penalties then maybe they could use the existing Petrov/Grosjean/Maldonado broken parts fund to go towards some development / engines.

Vincero

August 05, 2014 6:33 PM

F1 » Grosjean: You just have to accept it is tough

107SS2009: Will Lotus have Mercedes engines next year?. Mercedes is insisting on a payment up-front of $10m before the end of the 2014 season, and a strict payment schedule during 2015, otherwise engines will not be released.
Reminds me of the last days of Arrows F1 where they had to do last minute deals to run the cars, even having to get the ECU's released to have the cars pass FIA scrutineering and then have the ECU's taken back until funding was in place.... Hopefully it wouldn't come to that....

Vincero

August 04, 2014 9:08 PM

F1 » Hembery: Pirelli focusing on 19-inch tyres not 18-inch

benignlyindifferent, I have to admit I kind of overlooked/forgot that they would probably be using forged lightweight alloys, probably of magnesium alloy. But a bigger alloy will be heavier. I still doubt the tires will be much lighter - if anything I guess they will be roughly the same weight as the ones they'll replace due to the requirement of a tougher sidewall, etc.. Otherwise I'm sure we'd already be seeing such improvements on road tires. As for bad-mouthing Pirelli... Much preferred the way things were back in the Goodyear days - where the different compounds were proportionally different in terms of speed and duration, and tire performance over its life was much more constant. Pirelli were in F1 back in the early 90s back then during this period with an inferior product (except for qualifying).... seems not much has changed.

Vincero

August 04, 2014 6:57 PM

F1 » Hembery: Pirelli focusing on 19-inch tyres not 18-inch

And with bigger tyre/wheel combo, fuel economy almost always goes down - in previous years in F1 that wouldn't have mattered... In general, for some cars, every inch increase in wheel diameter adds nearly 10% weight for the overall tire+wheel assembly. Feel free to search the internet. As I'm fairly sure that safety with lightness is a key aim for wheel makers (especially in todays fuel economy driven markets where you can have only a space-saver spare... maybe), I don't see F1 being any different. I find lower profile tyres to be pretty similar in weight to higher ones - you may be able to find a product info table from one or two makers which shows weight vs size. In some cases the tires get heavier the larger the rim and the lower the profile but overall there is little difference (usually because the tyre body / sidewall has to be made so much stiffer). To be honest, I'm not really fussed which way it goes - Pirelli's championing a thing which makes their logo harder to see.... g

Vincero

August 04, 2014 11:43 PM

F1 » Hembery: Pirelli focusing on 19-inch tyres not 18-inch

benignlyindifferent: We live in a world of increasing wheel sizes because of the performance characteristics that a low profile tire can deliver. My Infiniti Q50 has 17 inch wheels and the sport version has 19 inch wheels. The Audi R18 has 18 inch wheels. Another benefit to low profile tires not mentioned earlier is that they are less prone to dramatic swings in tire temperatures that the higher volume balloon tires experience.
Its not just tire size but overall wheel size has increased on cars gradually. This brings with it stability and handling benefits as you essentially place the center of gravity lower with respect to the centre line of the wheels. Wonder why the Rolls Royce's have 20+ inch wheels still with not very low profile tyres for the last decade at least? After all, its not like any of them are actually ever going to be cornered all that hard. Also as low profile tyres tend to run with higher psi so probably more prone to temprature/psi changes.

Vincero

August 04, 2014 11:27 PM

F1 » Hembery: Pirelli focusing on 19-inch tyres not 18-inch

benignlyindifferent: Vincero, I cannot disagree. While I do think they would be lighter I also believe the weight savings would be insignificant. I think the significant advantage to be gained would be the much stiffer sidewall and that teams could better tune suspension sates, including compression and rebound, which are two main reasons why active suspension remains so attractive.
Only problem is that I see a few teams being against this due to cost of beefing everything up. I could see drivers being against it due to a harder ride (because lets face it, the engineers will always go for a stiffer set-up). As for a tyre war, FIA need to address the current tyre usage rules - the need to use both compounds is silly - would much prefer to see the teams need to opt for a particular tyre type and only run with that as best as they can. To a certain degree, how the Hungary race played out in the latter third kind of demonstrated how that could be more interestin

1 2  »