Suspended NASCAR driver/owner Jeremy Mayfield denied Saturday he had used illegal drugs to cause a positive drug test taken on May 1 and vowed he would not go through drug rehabilitation.

Mayfield also stated NASCAR hasn't even sent him a paper copy of the test indicating which substance yielded the positive result.

Having watched the Sprint Showdown at Lowe's Motor Speedway from an infield hospitality area, Mayfield spoke with a handful of reporters for about ten minutes at the track.

NASCAR suspended Mayfield on May 9 for a failed drug test on May 1 at Richmond. Mayfield stated May 9 that a mix of over-the-counter and prescription drugs had caused the positive result.

But NASCAR chairman Brian France said Friday it was a 'serious' violation resulting from a positive test for either performance-enhancing or illegal recreational drugs that led to Mayfield's automatic indefinite suspension.

"That's what he indicates (about my test), but they've indicated something different every day of the week," Mayfield said in response to France's comments. "I've heard the same story y'all have heard. I really don't want to say a whole lot.

"All I can say is look at me, I'm alive. I'm well. I'm the same guy I was Thursday night before Richmond, Friday night at Richmond, Saturday night at Richmond. I ran the race, and I'm the same guy today as I've always been. My credibility should speak for something."

Mayfield, 39, who has 433 career starts with five victories and two appearances in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, was asked if he denied using illegal drugs to cause the positive result.

"Am I denying it? Yeah, I'm denying it. Illegal drugs? Yeah, definitely," Mayfield said.

Mayfield, who said he has had independent tests done, would not say which prescription drug he is taking. He said he also took two tablets of Claritin-D.

"(The prescription) is not an illegal drug," Mayfield said.

Mayfield said he did not have a paper copy of what drugs he had tested positive for in the May 1 test.

"If any of you guys were in my shoes, wouldn't y'all want your results of what happened?" Mayfield said. "I've got nothing. I've got reinstatement papers. I'd like to see the results and I don't have the results. ... I have never gotten anything saying what it was."

NASCAR stands by its process, according to a statement it released late Saturday night.

"All NASCAR members who violate the policy, including Jeremy, are notified of the substance that caused the failure," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said in a statement. "Jeremy was verbally informed of the substance on three occasions last week by NASCAR's medical review officer. NASCAR stands by the reputable physicians and the nationally renowned lab that handles our substance abuse programme."

Until he is reinstated, JJ Yeley will drive Mayfield's car and Mayfield's wife, Shana, will be the team owner.

"I'd like to be back in the car this week, as soon as possible," said Mayfield, who had qualified for six of the first twelve races in his first year owning his own car. "All I want to do is work with them. I'll work with them any way they want. They can drug test me anytime they want. I've offered that. Every day, whatever they want to do. (But) I'm not going to rehabilitation. Why would I? Would you go to rehab if you didn't have a problem?"

After Mayfield talked with reporters, NASCAR asked him to leave because being in the infield violated the rules of his suspension.

"There seems to have been a misunderstanding on Jeremy's part," Poston said. "NASCAR officials spoke with him, and he understands the rules of suspension and agreed to comply."