5 February 2010
Edwards draws pole for Shootout
Carl Edwards: It's been a while since I've been on a pole. I know I didn't earn this one, it's all luck, but it still feels good.
Carl Edwards is on the pole for the Budweiser Shootout on Saturday night at Daytona International Speedway. The starting line-up for the 24-car field was determined by a draw Thursday night.
The 75-lap exhibition will be broken into segments of 25 and 50 laps.
"From what I've seen so far, there might not be many cars left after the first 25," said Edwards, referring to crashes in practice Thursday. "This race is going to be very interesting. It's going to spread out a little bit. It's going to become a handling race. It doesn't matter where you start unless if somebody misses a gear, we'll be in front of it."
Defending race champion Kevin Harvick was not at the draw party as he was battling flu-like symptoms. He drew the second spot but likely will have to drop to the rear of the field because he did not practice the car.
NASCAR also is expected to send Kurt Busch, Denny Hamlin and Mark Martin to the back of the field because they never practiced their back-up cars after crashes. Greg Biffle and Jamie McMurray practiced their back-up cars and will get to start where they drew. Derrike Cope also is expected to drop to the rear because he never got through technical inspection in time to practice.
"None of us have been in a racecar very much lately, and we all kind of jump in there and it's a little bit slippery," Edwards said. "If we can make it through the first 10 laps of a run all weekend on tyres, it's going to string out, it's going to be a really good race, it's going to be little packs of cars that have to handle."
The last time Edwards had been on a pole for a Cup event was at Bristol in August 2008.
"It's the first race of the season, and it will be nice to be up front," Edwards said. "It's been a while since I've been on a pole. I know I didn't earn this one, it's all luck, but it still feels good."
The complete line-up for the Budweiser Shootout is as follows:
1. Carl Edwards, Roush Fenway Racing No. 99 Ford
2. Kevin Harvick, Richard Childress Racing No. 29 Chevrolet
3. Brian Vickers, Red Bull Racing No. 83 Toyota
4. Ryan Newman, Stewart-Haas Racing No. 39 Chevrolet
5. Greg Biffle, Roush Fenway Racing No. 16 Ford
6. Mark Martin, Hendrick Motorsports No. 5 Chevrolet
7. Jeff Burton, Richard Childress Racing No. 31 Chevrolet
8. Matt Kenseth, Roush Fenway Racing No. 17 Ford
9. Jamie McMurray, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing No. 1 Chevrolet
10. John Andretti, Front Row Motorsports No. 34 Ford
11. Dale Earnhardt Jr., Hendrick Motorsports No. 88 Chevrolet
12. Bobby Labonte, TRG Motorsports No. 71 Chevrolet
13. Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing No. 14 Chevrolet
14. Ken Schrader, Red Bull Racing No. 82 Toyota
15. Michael Waltrip, Michael Waltrip Racing No. 51 Toyota
16. Jimmie Johnson, Hendrick Motorsports No. 48 Chevrolet
17. Kyle Busch, Joe Gibbs Racing No. 18 Toyota
18. Derrike Cope, Cope/Keller Racing No. 75 Dodge
19. Kasey Kahne, Richard Petty Motorsports No. 9 Ford
20. Juan Pablo Montoya, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing No. 42 Chevrolet
21. Joey Logano, Joe Gibbs Racing No. 20 Toyota
22. Kurt Busch, Penske Racing No. 2 Dodge
23. Jeff Gordon, Hendrick Motorsports No. 24 Chevrolet
24. Denny Hamlin, Joe Gibbs Racing No. 11 Toyota
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.