Beyond black-flagging Carl Edwards on lap 326 of Sunday's Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway, NASCAR has said that it will 'reserve judgment' on further action against the driver of the #99 Ford until later in the week.

In apparent retaliation for a lap 40 wreck that temporarily knocked Edwards out of the race, Edwards spun Brad Keselowski on lap 323 and sent him flying. Keselowski's Dodge landed on its roof on the asphalt, righted itself and skidded into the Turn 1 wall.

"It looked like it could have been payback from the #99 on the #12 (Keselowski)," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition. "We talked with Carl after the race, and we have an understanding about it.

"We will talk internally again as a group Monday or Tuesday of this week and make any decision on if there will be any other actions we will take. We parked the #99, we reacted to what happened on the racetrack and we'll go back and discuss it further."

Race winner Kurt Busch meanwhile was quick to come to the defence of Keselowski, who began his first full-time Sprint Cup season with Penske Racing in the Daytona 500.

"To see a guy that's a hundred laps down take out a guy that's run really well - that was a tough pill to swallow," Busch said. "I feel like what happened out on the racetrack is those two drivers' business, (but) I feel like I have to be in my team-mate's corner. When Roger Penske's stuff is torn up, I feel bad about it."

Juan Pablo Montoya, who was ahead of the incident and said he didn't see what happened, added that he wasn't surprised that Keselowski was involved.

"He wrecked a lot of people (last year)," Montoya said as he watched the replay. "I'm sure a lot of people wanted to pay him back. Looking at the TV, somebody did."